Second Best Chapter 11 - What Happened To The Special Mother-Daughter Bond?

Hey there, just wanted to say thanks so much for all the votes and awesome feedback, means a lot to me. Again, please vote and share with your friends if you truly love this story and yeah that's it, I hope you enjoy this chapter. 

____________________________________________________________________

  I stumbled around the school for the rest of the day in a daze, people often had to repeat several times for what they have to say to get through to my brain. In the end, they just stopped trying and left me alone, which was exactly what I wanted. I wanted to stay out of the public's eye for a while, just that once. I wasn't really in the mood for socializing and putting on a 'I'm strong and nothing can bring me down' act... I got so tired of doing that.

   When I pushed the door open later on that day, the house was so quiet the silence was almost deafening me. I dragged myself towards the kitchen and was startled to see my Mom sitting down at the dinner table, reading the morning paper. This sight was so unusual I almost walked right back out because I just couldn't get used to it.

  'Um... Mom? Hey.' I said uncertainly.

  'Oh hey, honey. Sit down, food's ready.' She gave me a small smile and put down the paper, then looked at me expectantly.

  I sat down opposite her slowly, and fixed my gaze on her face. What am I missing here? Since when did she call me 'honey'? And why is she smiling at me in that strained way of hers, when something had gone wrong.

  Something stirred inside of me, something along the lines of regret. My Mom and I had never been that close, I tried to confide in her with my problems but she never was the comforting or consoling type. Her remarks were often harsh and bitter and the most important thing of all - she always went along with whatever my Dad says. And it pissed me off to no end. But at that moment, I wanted to try again. I wanted to make our relationship work because, really I had no one else to stand by my side.

  Then I just burst out before I had time to regret it, 'Mom, I didn't make the volleyball team today...'

  Her reaction sent my heart sinking right down to my heels. She only frowned.

  'Your life isn't revolved around sports, you know. And you're throwing your education away.'

  That was more like it. I knew it was going to be something like that, and look what we have here? How could I be so foolish to think that my Mom would actually come over and hug me tight and tell me that it's all okay and that I'll definitely make it next year and... most important of all? That she loves me the best. 

  I couldn't understand why I didn't burst into tears then and there, nor could I understand how I held the anger and hurt in. I looked down at my hands clasped in my lap, not knowing what to say. The awkward silence built up, the atmosphere tense, and I could feel all hopes that me and my Mom bonding slipping away.

  'Yes, I know.' Finally I replied quietly.

   'Eat your food now, please, it's getting cold.' That was the icy response from her.

  'Not hungry.' I got up and walked back upstairs, leaving her sitting there on her own. It was such a lie, I was absolutely starving since I hardly ate anything for lunch. My stomach growled and I inwardly groaned. Nothing gets me in a terrible mood than an empty stomach and self esteem let down.

  I thought of what Gaby must be saying to everyone right now, the rumours she must be spreading. I swear, if she ruins my reputation I will skin her alive, figuratively speaking of course. She wouldn't get away with it.

  I shut my door and leaned against it. I put my head in my hands and let down a hushed scream. I actually wanted to go out and kill somebody, or vandalize something, or just get drunk and forget about everything for a little while. I just wanted to escape from the reality so bad, because it's being a bitch to me right now.

  My phone vibrated in my schoolbag, indicating I had a new text message, I pulled it out and squinted at the screen. Sam. She was probably calling me asking if I was feeling better or maybe organizing some chilling time. But to be honest, I didn't really want to see anyone. I just wanted to hide in my misery, hide from everyone else in the world.

  My phone started vibrating again, I snatched it up, about to fling it across the room when I saw who the message was from. It was Callum. I debated with myself whether to open up the text and read it or not? Then I quickly decided to read it to get it over with.

  It said, 'Hey my wonderful ray of sunshine. I know you're upset, I heard what happened. Meet me tonight at the park, 11.P.M. See you there, babe.'

  Oh, so news travels fast, huh? He was implying that I sneak out to see him. That would be a little bit risky but I was also curious to find what he had up his sleeve. What if he planned to stand me up? That would be so embarrassing on my account. I really wasn't sure what I should do.

  I texted back saying, 'Why should I go? What's in it for me?'

  His quick reply was, 'You'll see.'

  Oh Christ, now I would have to wait until 11 o'clock just so I could see what this 'surprise' was. Could it be that good?

  Meanwhile, I turned on the tap and ran a hot bath. I waited until the water nearly filled up halfway before climbing into the tub. I closed my eyes and sighed in bliss, I let the hot water soak over me and I could feel my tired muscles relax and suddenly all the tension and sadness melted away and I could almost feel myself retreating back to the normal happy bubbly Rae again.

  The water was so warm and it felt so good against my skin, my mind drifted to somewhere far far away and soon after, I fell asleep.