Second Best Chapter 16 - Where Did The Old Rae Go?

When you do bad things, there will be consequences. Sorry if I make this chapter a bit too depressing :P but yeah and there will be two new characters I'm about to introduce. Only one will make an appearance in this chapter though :D

  Again, thanks for reading, my chums and chummettes. Don't forget to vote, if you love this story!

____________________________________________________________________ 

  To say my Dad went ballistic would be an understatement.

  He officially lost it, when he heard the news. My weekend was made hell, because he had decided this was the last straw. I had sat down on the couch, across from them, and listened to every word filled with venom and hate, every phrase of threat and accusations, and I tried to put on a passive face but that only agitated him more because he interpreted it as I don't give a damn about what he was saying and I only wanted to get the lecture over with and then stay out of it all.

  He was wrong, my heart was slowly wilting inside, I was so miserable and upset that I listened to him scream at me for three whole hours while I tried to block it all out. The shouting went on and on, and he didn't even realize that I was just staring at the wall opposite and saying nothing at all because, I had nothing to say.

  When he finally called an end to it, and ordered to get out of his sight, I was already a zombie. I felt like I had no conscience left and nothing to live for. It was pathetic really, as I stood up in slow motion and walked up the stairs. I could feel their eyes on my retreating back, as if he perceived that I was going to do something rebellious right under his eyelids.

  I felt my soul had been ripped apart from my body, that wasn't a melodramatic way to describe it but I definitely didn't see the point in staying strong anymore. All the fight gone out of me, all the will stolen away from me... I was left with nothing. Nothing but an empty shell.

  I walked into my bathroom, and closed the door behind me quietly. I stared at the reflection in the mirror, staring back at me, unblinking. I scrutinized every feature of mine, trying to determine which one was my Dad's and which one was my Mum's. I didn't come up with an answer, what if I was actually adopted and my 'parents' hid it from me for 15 years? That will be something, that really will be something.

  Then all the grief and choked up sorrow just crashed down on me, I collapsed onto the ground, all coiled up and began to sob. You might say it was a pitiful sight, but I couldn't have cared less. I was so sick and tired of how my parents were treating me as if I was nothing more than a pawn. So they could show me off to others, and expect me to be perfect at all times and do what I was told. I was so tired of that. No one's perfect, why couldn't they see that?

  Gut-wrenching sobs shook through me, and I trembled because i felt a sudden chill wash over me. Nausea swam in my stomach and I fought the urge to throw up. I wiped the hot tears angrily off my face, and gritted my teeth and stood up. I looked at myself in the mirror again, and was disgusted to see what a wreck I had become. I turned the tap on, and splashed cold water over my face, and I rinsed my mouth with it.

  Then I decided to push all negative thoughts away from my mind, and pretend like nothing happened.

  I could do this. I could cheat myself. I could make it seem like everything's perfect and flawless. Of course I could do it. I've been doing it for the past three years.

  Monday morning, I was almost myself again. Sam and I walked through the hallway, nodding to people we knew and stopped to chat to several girls from our Spanish class.   She threw dubious looks at me on several occasions, not convinced that I was fine, like I said I was, but I just ignored her and concentrated on being myself. Though I could feel my smile falter whenever I thought of the ugly scene back at home.

  It was obvious everyone was still whispering about me beating up Gaby but they more worshipped me rather than despised me. And I hadn't seen her so far, I wonder if she actually came to school. With the big ugly bruise on her face... Unlikely.

  I was also curious at what punishment I might receive from the principal. Whatever it was, it sure wouldn't be pretty. I could just picture myself slaving over some mopping duty or cleaning the whole gym...

  'Hey, Rae, why weren't you at the cafe yesterday? We missed you.'

  'Hey we're still gonna hit the library this lunch break, right?'

  'I'll call you later, okay?'

  The chatter went on and on, and I was getting bored as every second passed by. I tried to put on a smile and dealt with them with patience, although I was secretly hoping they would just go away and leave me alone.

  Thankfully, I was saved by the bell so the crowd dispersed and Sam and I were free to go to our homeroom. I was in no mood for school, but I still came here because I wanted to prove to my parents, and myself, that nothing could bring me down, I'm still as strong as ever.

  The teacher cleared her throat once everyone had quieted down and gotten in their seats, 'Good morning, everyone. Today I'd like to welcome a student, who transferred here from Iowa. Would you like to come up and introduce yourself?'

  I rolled my eyes at this. Why does every teacher feel the need to embarrass the new kids and single them out and make them stand at front to give a speech about themselves; where they were from; what subjects they liked...

  I wasn't really paying attention until he spoke up.

  'Hey everyone, my name's Toby. And that's it.'

  I looked up, following the rich, deep, and bored-sounding voice to find its owner. To the guy that stood at the front, next to the teacher. To the gorgeous brown hair and brown eyes. To the Metallica band shirt and black jeans he was wearing. To the single silver stud earring in his left ear lobe. To his sculpted nose and square jaw. He was absolutely handsome, and good-looking, and just wow... Except for that bored look on his face, he was absolutely perfection.

  Whispers erupted around the class, girls gossiping furiously to their friends, no doubting rating the new guy already and checking him out. I remained put and unmoved, I simply just looked at him, carefully evaluating him. He was looking uninterested and staring out the window.

   Sam leaned over and whispered in my ear, 'Holy shit, he's so hot. If I wasn't already going out with Adam, I'd let him do me right here right now.'

  I murmured a response and continued to stare at him, he didn't notice me however. In fact, he wasn't looking at anyone. The expression on his face said, I'd rather be anywhere, but just not here.

  Our teacher gestured for everyone to be quiet, 'so Toby here needs someone to show him to the office, to collect his schedule for this semester, and possibly guide him around the school. Anyone would like to volunteer?'

  The PA speaker overhead, crackled and came to life, principal's voice came through, 'Rae Danvers, please proceed to the principal's office at once.'

  The whole class turned around to look at me, and so did the new guy Toby. I didn't blush or fidget in unease, I simply stood up, dragged my chair back, and walked with dignity down the aisle to the door. In the process, I glanced briefly at Toby, to find him watching me with curiosity. I didn't say anything as I walked right past, and just as I was about to go out the door, the teacher stopped me and said, 'Rae, since you're going to the office, please take Toby with you and help him out, would you please?'

  I glanced her, and replied, 'Yeah, whatever.'