Second Best Chapter 18 - How Can I Help You If You Don't Trust Me

Okay haven't updated in awhile and I'm sorry :P Forgive me? Anyways, we'll shift the topic off boys for awhile because this story is not just about Rae's love life. It's about everything. And I hope you guys like it, don't forget, any suggestions and comments, let me know in the comments below :)

Fan, vote and comment, yeah? Love you all x

______________________________________________________________________

  Something wasn't right. Something was just so unusual and it felt as if my life course is veering off its path. Something was bizarrely wrong. Then it hit me, as I was rounding the corner in my black Slipknot t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, keeping up my pace in a fast jog towards no fixed destination.

  I hadn't had any nightmares in a while.

  That was right, as I slowly contemplated this new realization, I hadn't had any dreams in a whole week. That week had been stressfree and relaxing because I was uncertain whether the dreams meant something or were they just results of too much pressure in everyday life, but I didn't have them to haunt me. As now, I was free from all that, at last. Well, kind of...

  I panted, and strained to control my breathing, instead concentrating on my rhythmic footsteps slapping against the pavement.

  I loved running. I absolutely adore the adrenaline rush every time I sprint around the track or the triumphant feeling whenever I jog over two miles. Another thing, that had drawn me to it in the first place, is that you could forget about things for a little while, and just let your mind relax and develop into a steady rhythm that guides you along, and it makes you feel great, it honestly does.

  I kept my head down, as I jogged past several pedestrians strolling or walking their dogs. Sweat rolled down my brow and I hastily wiped it away. Breathe.

  Some distance away, two teenage girls sat on a bench, heads close together, deep in conversation. I looked harder and saw that the brunette, who had started waving her hands around in frantic gestures, looked a lot like Sam. The other girl had honey brown hair and I couldn't tell who it was from where I was. As I moved closer, I realized that it was indeed Sam. But she was sobbing on the other girl's shoulder. Now that I could see clearer, I found my best friend crying on some girl called Una or whatever her name was, from our Spanish class.

  They looked up as I skidded to a stop in front of them, with a questioning look in my eyes which I directed towards Sam, completely not acknowledging Una's existence. Sam wiped wet tears off her cheek and sniffled, looking down at her lap, whereas Una just looked off in another direction.

  This frustrated me to no end. I was about to demand to know what was going on, because after all Sam had been my best friends first, and I deserved to know why she was upset or at least what made her cry. Why did Una What's Her Face get to know about it, and console her, not me? I was downright angry and I had every damn right in the whole damn world to be...

  Then I remembered my resolution to keep control and not let my anger take over, so I just made an awkward excuse and began jogging away. Whispering started almost immediately as soon as I was out of earshot, and somehow this made me kind of upset. Knowing that my best friend wouldn't even look me in the eye and tell me what was wrong, but would tell another friend of hers before me. Plus, that Una looked as boring and uninteresting as anything...

  'Hey,' Sam gave me a weak hug, and turned back to her locker to put in her books. I observed her quietly and I've been wanting to say something to her ever since I first saw her this morning. She wasn't smiling, which indicated something was wrong.

  'Why are you watching me like that?'

  I shifted uncomfortably on the spot and hoisted my bag up higher, 'You sure you're alright? What happened yesterday?'

  She avoided looking me in the eyes, and started walking off towards the homeroom, but I kept up with her, walking shoulders to shoulders. Inwardly, I screamed in frustration, Just tell me already! I'm supposed to be your best friend! I can make you feel better!

  As we settled down into our usual seats, with me still watching her every move from the corner of my eye, I started rummaging around in my bag for the little present I got especially for her. I dropped it onto her desk, startling her, it was a chocolate bar. Her favourite. She tried to smile, but it was merely a ghost trace of her usual warm grin. And I saddened as I watched her, trying not to burst into tears in front of the entire class.

  'Honey, what on earth is the matter?' I asked softly, looking at her earnestly. I was truly concerned. I couldn't stand to see her upset.

  'It doesn't matter,' she replied, voice barely above a whisper, she turned around to face the front and seemingly cutting me off from her completely.

  I wasn't ready to give up though, I was determined to find out because I cared about her. Screw the whole wait-for-them-to-come-to-you-when-they're-ready thing. I was doing this my way, since she's so reluctant to let me help her, or at least cheer her up.

  'Pssst!'

  She turned to look at me, wariness written all over her face. I took out my BlackBerry, about to text her to meet me somewhere for lunch so we could talk it through, but she just shook her head and looked away. I was more confused than ever. We shared almost everything, we haven't kept secrets from each other since we became friends. This had to be something major, or she'd tell me straight away. I wasn't ready to drop the subject though.

  I dropped my pencil deliberately, just so that it was conveniently beside Sam's seat, and stood up to pick it up. 'Sam, babe, please just tell me what's wrong. Was it something I said? We can talk about it, okay?' I whispered.

  'It's something personal... I don't... I don't need to tell you...' her voice was low, and raspy. But to me, it was loud and incredibly clear, as if magnified a thousand times louder. It rang in my ears several times before I grasped the meaning of it. Fully.

  It was something personal. She didn't want me to know about it.

  I gazed at her in shock, only to find she had already faced away and was no longer paying attention to me. I stared at her profile, dumbfounded. Desperately hoping that I had heard wrong.

  If you don't trust me well enough to tell me, then how could I help you?