Chapter 19 • Birthday Wishes

Start from the beginning

Dane and Talus fought for a month before they got custody of me. I was told they went to four courthouses to plea my case. Let me tell you that a month in foster care wasn't all puppies and rainbows.

It was a 'temporary group home' for the ones who were waiting to be put into a family members custody. I was stuck with girls of all ages, most of them dealing with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and a multitude of other things. I got into many fights, some violent, some just verbal arguments. When the time finally came for me to go back with my brothers I said goodbye and hallelujah to that hell hole.

I bring my attention back to what Sasha gave me and open the envelope. Inside there's a letter and a pen. Though, it's not just any pen. It's a Wisteria Blossom Resin Fountain Pen with chrome finish. Back when I was writing I would kill for this pen, but I could never afford it. How did he do it? How did he know? Right now I can't focus on that if I don't wanna be late for school.

"Hurry up! Zombies get ready faster than you," Luca's voice rings from downstairs. I glare at my door, pushing my thoughts aside, and get ready for today. I put the envelope Sasha gave me on my bed and decide I'll read the note after school. I place the pen on my dresser, still wonder how he knew I wanted that for so long.

After a good ten minutes of rummaging through my closet I finally find a decent outfit. A black halter top with a high waisted knee length black and white skirt. I pick black healed combat boots with a denim jacket. This is the best outfit I have since I went shopping with Blythe and Olympia last week.

These past two weeks have been pretty awesome. I got to spend more time with the guys and learned a lot about them. Although Roman and Dante have made a lot of ways to ditch us. Petra and I have been acting pretty civil lately with a few comments on her part. I've learned to ignore her most of the time.

Salem has been driving me to school in the morning and drove me home a few times too. Dane hasn't talked much but when he has it's usually to insult my friends. Talus is pretty upset that I don't want to get rides with him but since he took Dane's side I try to avoid them both. I've seen Simone a few times but we never spoke one-on-one besides the day I met her.

Right now all I know is that Salem, Dante, and probably the rest of the guys know Elyse. I don't know how but I have a feeling she kept them a secret for a reason. I've also heard Salem and Hale talking about whoever Griff, Lane, and Kai are. How they are coming to Oregon to 'get us back' or so Hale says.

"Are you coming down or what?" Sasha says from downstairs which snaps me back to reality once again.

I run to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. For finishing touches I add some light makeup to my face and French braid my long dark hair. I grab my phone and head downstairs.

I turn the corner to the kitchen where all the guys are. As soon as I walk in all eyes are on me. Navy's mouth hangs open as he runs his eyes from my head to my toes, Sasha and Sawyer having the same expression. Luca has his back to me but when he turns around he does the same thing.

"Go change," Talus says, breaking the awkward silence that fills the rooms.

"What?" All the guys and I say in unison.

"My baby sister isn't walking out sit looking like that," he says in a firm tone.

An evil smile plays on my lips when I remember sometimes. "Do you know what today is? My eighteenth birthday, meaning I can do whatever I want."

I watch as Talus pouts but let's it go since he knows how stubborn I am. I turn to Navy who still has his eyes on me.

"What?" I demand.