Chapter 14 • Two Weeks

•Rayan's POV•

Right after my phone call with Salem I had set my alarm for 5 instead of the normal 5:30 a.m. If I'm going to sneak out I have to be consistent.

I walk to my closet and pick out my outfit for the day. I decide to go with a simple gray tank top and a open maroon zip up jacket. I also put on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans with my grey vans. I'm way too tired to dress up like I usually do.

I put my hair in a messy bun with some hairspray so it doesn't get frizzy since the air in Oregon is always sticky and humid. I also put on a touch of highlighting makeup to hide the bags under my eyes. Overall I look like hell.

By the time I'm done I have a half and hour to spare before I have to leave. I go to check my phone and notice the date.

September 15th. Two weeks until my birthday. I had started high school on the sixth, which was only a week after school actually began. I basically lost track of time from what's been going on.

I don't even want to think about my birthday. I just want to forget that day even exists. Instantly a thought comes to my mind. The journals.

I haven't written in almost a year. I promised Harriet I would never give up writing. Before I came to Oregon I wrote a small paragraph but that's it. It was a message to complete the last journal I would ever do in Washington. I would never go back to that place. Too many sad memories.

Looking around my room I spot a box. The box holding the journals. I gingerly make my way to them until I'm standing in front of it. I kneel down and open the box in a swift motion. All my unused journals are still there.

My shaky hand reaches for a journal and pulls it out. The black leather feels just right beneath my touch. I can't do this, not yet. I close the lid to the box after throwing the journal back in. I just need more time.

My phone buzzes in my back pocket, indicating I have a text message. I tap the screen and see Salem's name in bold.

Salem : Hurry up.

I read his two worded text and roll my eyes. This boy better not be talking to me like that.

Me : I don't appreciate the attitude.

Seconds later he replies.

Salem : Get your ass ready faster. I don't need your brothers seeing me waiting for you. If they did I'd probably walk away with a broken windshield.

I quietly chuckles as I gather my things and head for my bedroom door. I press my ear against it trying to hear if one of them is up but it's silent. My feet are quiet as I slowly walk down the stairs. I peer my head out of the corner and see that no one is awake. Perfect.

While walking towards the front door I hear rustling coming from above me. Shit, one of them is awake. I run towards the door not looking back as I head my name being called. It's Talus. I still can't face him. He'd just tell Dane.

I sprint out the door and across my lawn to Salem's house. I can see he's leaning against his car with his back turned to me.

"Hurry up and get in the car," I say a little breathless. He turns towards me with a smile but it instantly falls when he looks behind me. I turn to see Talus on the porch and searching for me. He meets my eyes and  jumps down all four stairs.

"Shit," Salem mumbles, "hurry get in."

I open the car door and jump in. I'm dead, so unexplainably dead. Salem jumps in beside me and in one quick motion we're off. He speeds down our street until he comes to Central Area. He slows a bit and then breaks the silence that settled in.