Chapter 1 • New Life

•Rayan's POV•

When I open the door to my new room, I'm instantly hit with a rush of warm air. The thickness of heat is so intense, I drop everything in my hand to take off my hoodie. I manage to get to my side window and open it. The window makes a very loud creaking noise, indicating this house is pretty old, which makes my teeth ache.

"Home sweet home." I whisper softly to myself, knowing this is far from what I would call home. I take off the backpack, that has stayed on my back the entire trip, and think of a way to relax. No bed yet, nor curtains, lights or a fan. I'm basically screwed.

I walk over to the other window in my room just to see if it will actually open. Looks like this one has some life in it since it opens gracefully.

My attention is drawn to rustling downstairs, so I decide to see if I can help like the good little sister I am.

I have two brothers. Dane and Talus, my life savers. Dane being the oldest at 23, and Talus at 21. They seem a lot older than they are, given they had to step up at the plate when my parents and sister died. My sister, Elyse, died when she was 18. She was my rock...my everything.

Before I kick into depression mode I walk downstairs to meet my brothers. Not wanting to think about that yet.

I watch as Dane and Talus struggle to get a bed frame in the door. They both look pissed, trying to keep it straight as they push it inside. I stand there silent for a few more seconds before I hear Dane curse under his breath.

"Awe, what's the matter Dane? Big man not patient enough for a small bed frame?" I say laughing with each word.

He gives me a look of slight disgust, "Well Rayan, if this doesn't get into the house you don't have a bed, so be thankful I'm busting my ass to get the damn thing inside."

I scoff at his comment an turn to see what Talus is doing. He has already given up an is sitting on the floor. His blonde hair is laced with sweat, and his shirt is also drenched.

"You okay dude?" I say with a slightly uninterested tone. He looked up at me with a angry expression and answers through his teeth.

"I just had to run a mile to go pick up my Little League hat you dropped out the window, since we don't have any gas left in the car. And now I'm about to fist fight a door frame if it doesn't get its shit together. Does it look like I'm okay?"

I find such joy watching my two brothers in a tizzy. Although I should be helping, it's time for me to take a break.

"Well I'm hungry, I don't feel like cooking, and there are two grown men capable of fixing that. Feed me please."

In unison they both give me a dark glare, indicating I can make food all by myself. I snicker at their looks as I walk into the kitchen. I look everywhere for something useful to eat. Unfortunately, these cabinets are drier than my brother attitudes.

I walk into the main hall of the house to complain, when I see the bed frame is finally in the doors.

I clap slowly as I give my cocky remarks, "good job big bros, gold star for you." I can't help but laugh at how annoying I am at this point.

They made me move here, mind as well give them a piece of my mind in sarcastic form. Talus gets up from the floor an takes off his shirt. Then throws the disturbing piece of sweat-ball at me.

"What the hell is wrong with you? If you wake up with no eyebrows tomorrow don't get all mad."

Talus sees this as a challenge. Then without realizing what's happening I'm being picked up off the ground. He throws me over his shoulder an is now bouncing me up and down like a immature fool.