Chapter 6 • A Day Full of Wonder

•Rayan's POV•

I scurry to get my books and shut my locker before I start to walk off. As I motion for Salem to lead the way he puts a hand on the small of my back. My breath hitches in my throat, even from this small touch it's like a fire erupted on my skin. He noticed my slight change in posture and side smirks.

As we walk past a few classrooms I get glares from every girl that sees Salem and I walking together. I'm perceiving that he's the ladies man of the senior class, given every girl straightens as he passes. He stops me at a classroom on the right side of the hall.

"This is our homeroom. The teacher is Mrs.Kindly, she's also our calculus teacher, which is first period. I'd say she isn't that bad, just don't get on her dark side." Salem informs. I nod my head as we walk into class.

****

First and second period were good I guess I could say, given they were World History and Calculus.  I got to talk more with Hale, Roman and Elijah since they were in calculus with me. I like Hale the best and I come to find out he's also Salem's best friend. I was told they've known each other since they were born.

Roman was very preserved and didn't talk much, but when he did he could light up the conversation with his intelligence. He told me what to expect from teachers and some students, who to hang out with and who not to. I'm also growing very frond of him.

Then there's the goof ball Elijah. He's so playful and joyous he makes me smile instantly. I have a feeling him and I will be great friends, given we have so much in common.

The rest of the guys are in my other classes, and getting to know them won't be that hard.

While Salem leads me to our next class I inspect the school. It's a giant campus and is also very expensive from what I can see. How did my brothers afford to get me in here? I know Dane doesn't have this kind of money and Talus isn't anywhere near it either. So many unanswered questions.

As Salem and I arrive in Literature of Early America—a very high English class—I notice Dante is finally in class. He skipped the first couple classes we had today, probably because of me.

I pretend I don't notice his eyes on me, but really it's like they are sending fire into my skin.

Something about that boy isn't right...

"Miss.Blackwood?" A young women says. Seeing she's in front of the class I presume she's our teacher. The women can't be over 30 and is very pretty. Black hair and light brown skin.

She eyes me up as if it's my turn to speak. "Um...Yes, Rayan Blackwood." I reply with a stutter. I observe the class, there are about fifteen student. In which are including Salem, Dante, and at first a unnoticed Clayton. Salem and Clayton take a shared partner desk in the back, with Dante front of them.

"Well Rayan, my name is Ms.Carver. It's very nice to see we have a new student this early in the year. Let me get your basic utensils for this class. For now please take a seat next to..." Her eyes begin to scan the room looking for an empty desk. As her eyes set on the only half empty partner desk left, my heart jumps to my throat. "Please take a seat next to Mr.Moretti please." Ms.Carver says pointing at my demise.

I look at my teacher has if she's crazy. I know that's the only desk left but why does this have to happen to me? Maybe I can get Clayton or Salem to switch. No, I'm going act mature and deal with my situation.

It looks as if Dante is just as shocked as I. His posture is a straight line and his knuckles are clenched white. Okay maybe I won't be mature about this. Before I can even sit down Salem catches my worried look and sends me a sympathetic eye. I guess he knows Dante's an ass.

"Hey sunshine glad to see you again." Clayton speaks up, watching me walk to my seat.

"H-hey." I reply with a shaky voice. I look over and I see that Salem is looking down at his phone. Is he supposed to have that out? He's texting someone, furiously tapping on the screen.  I turn in my seat so my back is to Dante, so I can't see what he's doing. Why does everything seem so sketchy? I decide to turn my attention to Salem.

"S-so what period is lunch?" I say trying to make conversation. Salem snaps his eyes to me. He definitely doesn't look happy. I just met these guys and two of them are mad at me. Wow

Using my preferable vision I look at Dante. He also had been texting and now he puts his phone in his pocket. Both of this hands are clenched now, making me want to flinch in fright.

Ms.Carver finally comes back from getting me my stuff needed for this class. "Here you are Rayan. Ask Dante here to help you organize your notebook. Hope you having a great first day."

Before I get to speak Dante snaps. "Why can't she ask Thing1 and Thing2 behind me? I'm not in the mood to help right now sorry lady." His tone is cold with hidden amusement.

Mr.Carver glares are him. "You will help Ms.Blackwood or you can learn to change your mood with a week of in-school suspension. I will not play these games today Mr.Moretti, it's all about choices, pick yours wisely." She says not skipping a beat.

After mumbling a few words I didn't quite catch he just nods his head in defeat. I internally smile, knowing I just earned the upper hand. I look down to see the things Ms.Carver placed on my desk. One notebook that says journal which instantly makes my stomach turn from the years of memories. Another folder that says test/quizzes, and lastly a simple Literature textbook.

I know I should get these things over with so I turn to Dante and start to speak, "Here's my notebook. Thanks for helping me set it up." My voice comes out friendly but has a tense end to it. Dante catches it, since I can see the small smirk on his face due to my discomfort. The book is snatched from my hand and now in his grasp.

While he sets it up a hand is dropped on my should and a voice to my ear. "Don't mind his rude behavior, Dante isn't a people person." Salem says, the heat from his breath on the back of my neck. I shiver and just nod. Knowing if I spoke my voice wouldn't be steady. I hear him snicker, while releasing my shoulder.

When the class starts I can feel Salem's eyes on my back the entire  time. Occasionally I hear words exchanged between him and Clayton, but other than that there silent. Dante hasn't spoken to me or anyone of the matter. It's like the guys in a sudden state of silence, which causes my bones to rattle in nervousness.

I realize it's no use trying to be nice to this guy so all my focus is going to be on everyone else in my new little group of guy friends. They all seemed pretty nice, but I can't get my mind off Salem. As soon as I met him it's like something sparked. Something unexplainable, even though he feels dangerous and reckless I want to feel more. My emotions are extremely perplex.

Before I know it I can hear the bell ringing, I guess I zoned out the entire class. Before I can walk out the door I feel someone grab my arm. I look back to see Salem's smiling face ready to speak. Before he can say anything Dante brushes his shoulder by me aggressively, which earns him a glare from Salem in return.

Salem slowly faces back towards me and starts to speak, "Hey so I was wondering lunch is only now two periods away and...you don't have any other friends so far so you wanna sit with me and my crew?" He asks with major nervousness in his voice.

Did he just ask me to sit with him at lunch? I turn my shocked expression to a smile.

"Yes, that would be great. Thank you."

We walk out of Ms.Carver's class both smiling. I'm starting to like it here, hopefully nothing makes those feelings change.

____________________
Hey guys! Good so far? I really hope so bc I'm trying my hardest to update every day.
I really wish my book would get more views tho. But hey! If I work hard it will right?
Anyways...lol
Comment & Vote