Chapter 26 • The Hypocritical Side

•Rayan's POV•

I have officially been in Oregon for 58 days. So much has happened in so little time I haven't been able to process it all.

My ribs are still broken and I still have a sprained ankle but I think I'm getting by well. It's hard to look over the fact why my neighbor, whom is also one of my best friends, father killed my family. It's complicated, I know.

The nightmares started to come. Their a mixture of watching my family die by Nazario Wyatt, who I've never personally met. Or about Kai taking a knife an carving that horrendous letter into my torso. Or how he kicked me in the face before doing whatever he did while I was asleep.

I try not to focus on those bad things because we have a bigger matter at hand.

Tomorrow is Halloween. I trick-or-treat every single year. I remember Elyse and I used to match costumes, while Talus and Dane would do the same.

"So, are you and Salem going to match?" Elijah asks out of the blue, coming to sit beside me at lunch.

"He's forcing me, and he's picking out the costumes."

He laughs. "That's awesome, I'm so glad you're coming to Bobby's party."

"Yeah, it should be really fun," I reply with a smile. Just as I turn to see where Olympia is I see Hale walking up.

"Hey, Rayan."

I turn my face to see him looking at me with a nervous stare.

"What do you want, and or need?" I say dryly. I've never been one to beat around the bush.

He stops in front if me, looking around an scratches the back of his head. "So you know how Salem has been really nervous recently? Well that's because it's Simone's birthday tomorrow, as well as Halloween, and he doesn't know what to get her. He's too blind to see the only gift she wants is something you can give."

"Which is?" I ask, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

"Talus."

My eyes go wide for a fraction of a second before they narrow. Why the hell would Simone wants Talus there?

"She's still in love with him, she always has been," Elijah says.

I stare at both of them like they've lost their minds. Tomorrow is a Friday, Talus will probably want to go out an get a drink with the guys.

I glance behind me an see that Salem's laughing at something that Clayton said, surrounded by Bobby and Petra. We got into a small fight today about me wearing a shirt that is see through, he starting to sound like Dane. If he knew I was talking about this it wouldn't turn out good.

"Salem would literally throw me off a cliff."

Hale laughs. "He's something I can handle, just please get him there. Bobby and Blythe already agreed to letting him in their house."

"What about all the other guys, you all became friends right?" I ask Elijah.

"We are not friends, we are even," he says back in a hard tone. I know Hale didn't do any making up, that's why I'm surprised he's doing this.

He sees me studying him an speaks up. "Look, Simone is like a sister to me and I want to see her happy. Talus was the one thing that could make that happen. And if I'm being honest he's not that bad."

From the pleading looks they give me I actually consider it. I know Talus still has feelings for her from the way he stares at her for more than necessary, even if he falsely throws insults her way. I want my brother happy, and I surly want Salem's sister happy, even if that means he'll be mad at me.