Chapter 20 • That Won't Happen

•Salem's POV•

I can still remember seeing her ebony color hair shine when the light reflected off it. That's the first day I met her. It was years ago and she didn't even know I was watching. Sitting in the back of the store Aunt Harriet worked at was good for something.

Before the girl came into the store Harriet told me I would be meeting someone named Rayan. I didn't know that the time she would be so important in my life. Hell, I was only 9 at the time.

When she walked into the door I felt my heart skip a beat. She was so beautiful, her hair a dark brown, almost black. Her skin was a tone lighter than olive, and her eyes were a striking blue that I never seen before, and her lips resembled a pink that I only saw in candy.

I told Harriet to never introduce me to her. Back then I was the shy, tall and skinny boy that every one would never pay attention to, except my friends of course.

"Harriet!" She screamed when she got inside the shop. The shop didn't belong to Harriet, but she basically owned the place.

"Hello, darling. Have you brought your journal with you today?"

"Yes, Ma'am!" She squeals while taking her back pack off and rummaging through it. She plucked out a black journal, just like the ones on the wall.

"Go over to your desk and write your pages for today," Harriet says.

Thinking back to it now I wish I could have said something to her, but I never did. I would sit and just watch her. Yes, it sounds creepy but that was the time when I didn't know how to handle girls.

She stuck her tongue out in consideration while dipping her head down to write. Light from the window shone down on her, making her hair look like ink. The way she moved her hand, the way she wrote, mesmerized me.

Before I came off as a creep I shut the door and went back to writing violin music. I told Rayan I would look at old photo albums, but that was before she knew I could play the violin. I could never play my instrument in the store due to some complaints from customers. Hey, I was trying my best to sound good give me a break.

Every now and then I would peak my head out to see her. Sometimes she would be writing, or talking to Harriet, or looking at the antiques in the store. Anything she did made me melt some more. I was only 9 but I felt like an 80 year old man who's still in love with his wife he's been married to for sixty years.

From then on I would come to visit Harriet more. I would sit in the back of the store and wait for Rayan to come. Almost every day she did. She never noticed me, Harriet never mentioned me, and I never made a show of myself.

When Harriet passed away I never did see her again, besides at the funeral that she and her mother attended. For a split second she met my eyes as we were praying, us being the only ones to not close them. I looked away first, because the feeling I got when I looked at her scared me.

So here I am today. Driving her to my sisters store. I told Simone I would be bringing Rayan there after school.

The feeling of her body heat next to me does weird things to my stomach. Some people call them butterflies, I call them a wake up from hell. Her smell is intoxicating, a mixture of flowers and strawberries.

It's been three weeks since she got here and every day has killed me a little more. If she knew what I did she wouldn't even be able to look at me in the eyes. If she knew what I was involved in she would hate me forever. I don't know how to tell her, my original plan was to never mention anything. But after she heard Dante and I talking in the hallway she feels like she can't trust me, I can see it in her eyes.