Chapter 12 • The Good & The Bad

•Rayan's POV•

This week has been hell. All the guys have been missing from school except Dante and Salem. Let me tell you the tension is very visible. Dante keeps making rude remarks every chance he gets. While Salem is like walking on egg shells. He doesn't say much about his life but when he does it's very cryptic.

I haven't spoken more than ten words to Dane after what he said to me. I'm still a little shocked by his coldheartedness. How can my own brother rub in my face that half our family is dead? That's just wrong.

I must admit that Salem and I haven't started off on the right foot. The first day I was here he was nice as can be. But then I started to notice all the secrets. It's like whenever I'm in a room the conversation turns to whispers. Nothing can be said around me without worry.

Petra has also been missing. The girls told me she went on a road trip with her mother but I don't by it. I don't like the girl anyways but something is up.

It's also very obvious that Olympia doesn't trust me. She's just as bad as Salem when it comes to being cryptic. The only friend I have is Blythe, and even she isn't acting normal. Am I that bad?

Now here I am walking down the hall before lunch, not even paying attention to anyone. When I approach my locker I can see two people arguing. Luckily my locker is just around a corner so I can hide and listen. It takes me a few seconds but then I recognize the voices.

"Are they coming back yet?" Dante asks in a hush voice.

"No, their all still in back in Washington. They went back to their old homes to collect a few things," Salem says back.

I gasp a little when I hear them talking about Washington. I used to live there. That's my home, my real home. What are they doing there?

They pause their conversation for a second. Oh no, they heard me gasp. Right has I'm about to walk out and make myself known Dante starts to talk.

"They can't get caught there, Salem. You knew that but yet you give them permission to go. If they get caught being there you know what will happen. We have enough to deal with right now. Rayan knows there's things we aren't telling her. Maybe we should leave again."

I perk up at my name and listen more intently. What does Dante mean by 'leave again'?

"No, that's not an option. We know for a fact that her brothers haven't told her anything or she wouldn't even associate herself with us. Maybe we can keep her safe if we're here. Dane or Talus won't mention anything to her about us. Their too scared of all the information we have on them and there four Members," Salem pauses once more then slowly continues. "Look, I know it's hard because of what happened, but we can't let the guys down. We are the only ones with connections with Rayan's life before she moved here so we need to keep her under control," he finishes.

I hear Dante audibly scoff, "remember what happened the last time someone wasn't told about who we were? She was killed. Taken away from everyone she loved. Especially me." Dante says.

"I know, Dante. But we have to look over Rayan for her. That's what she would have wanted," Salem whispers.

I now fully gasp. Are they talking about who I think their talking about? Did Elyse know them? First they mention Washington, the place I was born and raised. Then they mention me specifically. Now I think their talking about my dead sister. This is all too much. Only a week here and secrets are being revealed. Anything else that needs to be said?

I hear them mumble something. I couldn't make out what it all was but something about 'walking away quickly.' Before I know it Salem is standing in front of me, arms folding across his chest. I take a step away from him since he looks slightly angry.

"Were you listening to our conversation?" He says irritatedly.

I gulp but find enough bravery to look in his eyes. He can't keep things about my life from me. It's my life for Christ sake.

"Why were you talking about me? And who were you talking about a few seconds ago?" He doesn't answer so I continue. "Where you talking about my sister? How do you even know about her?"

Salem starts walking towards me. I keep backing up, taking cautious steps back so he won't bump or hit me. There's a mix between anger and  intimidation on his face. The anger then turns to amusement when my back hits a wall. I let out a small squeak when me places his hands on either side of my head.

"We don't appreciate you listening in our conversations, Rayan. What did you hear? Where you there for most of it?" Slightly worry rolls off this words.

I meet his eyes once again and see that their trained on my face. It's now or never. I need to get answers. I straighten my posture and bring my face close to his. I grab his wrists and take his hands off the sides of my head and place them on the wall beside me.

"Salem, I trust you. I really, honestly do. But keeping things from me won't end well for you. My brothers do the same thing so I shut them out. I have no problem walking these halls without friends. So I'll repeat my question," I pause for a moment and take in his face. He looks completely  flabbergasted.

"Why were you and Dante talking about me?" I emphasized a few words to get the point across. The anger soon returns in his place as he grits his teeth.

"You're overreacting, Cupcake. It's nothing you need to worry about," he replies slyly.

I'm now fuming. First my brothers, and now the one of the only people I trusted in this school.

"Nothing I need to worry about? You were talking about me here, Salem. And as far as I know my dead sister was also involved. Don't talk about someone unless you want to be confronted about it," I spit back. With that I push away from him and walk right past.

I flip my hair and start to walk towards the lunchroom. A hand snakes it's way around my upper arm and pulls me to a stop. I turn to see him again.

"Don't ask question I know you won't want the answer of," he says back to me. Although, there isn't anger in his eyes.

More like pain. Like he wants to tell me but somethings stopping him. His chestnut colored eyes hold a plea in them. I want to stop being mad right as I see his expression, but I can't. Too many things have been kept from me.

"You don't even know me," I whisper-yell. A small, conniving smirk meets his lips.

"Rayan, I know more about you than you know yourself. I'll answer your questions when I think your ready," with that he walks past me towards the cafeteria.