Chapter 9 • Lunch Time

•Rayan's POV•

That little run-in I had with Dante taught me a few things. One, he doesn't like me. Two, there is something I don't know that I should. And three, I'm more of a burden than I thought. He made it his personal duty to make me feel a little a scared. Scratch that, a lot scared.

My deep thoughts are yet again pushed from my mind as a heavy arm is placed around my shoulders. I look up to see Clayton with a goofy grin on his face.

"So Salem told me your eating with us? That's awesome, we'll have fresh meat to pick on." Clayton says with a wink. I can't help but notice the fact that he mentioned Salem.

he still wants me to sit with him?

Quite frankly I didn't expect that. I thought he dropped me and left Blythe to deal with the burden. At least he doesn't fully hate me too, that's a plus.

All eyes are on me and my entourage of one when we walk into the cafeteria. I guess being the new girl is as bad as the movies portray. I get a few wolf whistles from the jocks, and a lot of dirty looks from the girls who obviously want Clayton's arm around them.

Clayton steers us over to the lunch table where all the guys sit, including Salem and Dante. There is a very noticeable tension between them which intensifies as soon as they spot me. I can see Hale searching my eyes and he catches that I've noticed the friction.

He clears his throat curtly then speaks, "Glad your sitting with us today Rayan. Here sit between Salem and I." Hale says, obviously trying to lighten the mood. I mumble a 'sure' while sitting between the boys.

I can see that Elijah is overjoyed that I sitting here, whilst Roman and Bobby just sit there with smirks. I still haven't been able to figure out that Roman boy, he seems so familiar.

While taking a seat I see Salem's knuckles go white from holding a tight fist. I keep my eyes on the table so I don't cause any more problems. Right as Bobby is about to speak he's cut off by another voice,

"Hello boys," the voice says coming behind me. I turn to see Blythe and the girls. I watch as Olympia eyes me up with a fake smile. She seems to not be so fond of me sitting between Hale and Salem. Is there yet another thing I don't know?

I turn to look at Petra, who looks like she's about to rip my head off. I take my opportunity to piss her off by winking at her. I see her roll her eyes an sit beside Dante. Figures they're friends, they both have horrible attitudes.

Beside me I can feel that Salem is very tense. What did I do wrong? I've been at this school one freaking day an I already have people who hate me. Nothing can make this worse.

Actually I spoke too soon. "Rayan may I please have a word," Hale says already standing up. I look at him and he only smiles. This can't be good. I stand slowly, and follow Hale out of the Cafeteria.

The growing tension I saw on him earlier is now gone and is replaced with a warm smile. "Listen, I know your first day has been pretty hectic, but trust me, how there acting isn't because of you." The last words he says are said with doubt, it's clear as day in his voice.

I nod but I have to press this further if I want to get information, "Are you sure? They all look like they hate me." I say looking down at my shoes.

He puts a hand on my shoulder which causes me to look up. "C'mon lets go back in there. I'll talk to the guys while you go up for lunch. I got this covered." Hale says sending me a brilliantly perfect grin.

Hale dismisses me motioning I go up to the lunch line. I make my way up and Blythe appears by my side. "Hey girl, how's things going with the boys? I know they can be such a pain sometimes. Don't worry they'll warm up to you."

I give her a fake smile and reply with a sweet tone, "Oh they're just dandy. They really know how to make a girl feel welcome." From the look in her eye I can see she noticed my discomfort as well.

"Tell me if Bobby does anything stupid, I'll be sure to kick his ass for you!" Blythe says excitedly.

"I heard that Rylan," Bobby says appearing behind us causally. He slings his arm around Blythe's shoulder which she kindly rejects.

"You know I don't like you using my first name, Robert." Blythe says in a insanely struck tone, which falters after Bobby gives her the sweet eyes. She gives up and ruffles his hair as he flicks her forehead.
I laugh at their little banter while walking up to the counter full of meal options. I go to reach for a chicken wrap but I stop myself when I see something, or more importantly, someone. My eyes lock with someone I didn't expect to ever see here, of all places.