Chapter 27 • Halloween

•Rayan's POV•

I woke up to the sound of shuffling in my room. At first, I don't open my eyes because of fear. Then, the fearless Rayan comes out. I shoot into an upright position in my bed an immediately grab my pocketknife I keep under my mattress. Blurriness clouds my vision as I look around. My eyes focus, an I see who stands in my room.

Salem stands there causally, smirking at the knife in my hand.

"Cupcake, that knife is light work," he says. I glare at him an put it back under my mattress.

"Why the hell are you in my room at-" I look at my phone on my dresser, "seven in the morning? More importantly, why are you in my room?"

He shrugs an takes a seat at the foot of my bed. "I thought I would bring your costume over early."

I rub my eyes an ruffle my hair. When I look down I see that I'm only in a sports bra an shorts, the covers I had on are down to my knees. My arms fly over my chest, my cheeks turning red.

"How did you get in here?" I ask nervously.

"The window," he says with amusement. My eyes widen when I see the window is open, the morning light shines on the floor. I get up from the bed an close it, then walk over to my dresser an grab a shirt. I hear him get up behind me.

"Do you know the history behind this old thing?" He asks suddenly, his hand on top of my dresser.

"It was my grandfathers, that's all I know."

I walk to my bathroom an stare to brush my teeth. He comes up beside me an stares at me in the mirror.

"I have one just like it. It was used to hold passport, new ID's, weapons, an medical supplies. Your grandfather probably gave it to you just in case you have a son."

My eyes snap over to him after I wash my mouth out. "I don't want children."

"Why not?" He asks in disbelief.

"Because I don't want them to have to be apart of something they don't want to me apart of."

"When did you decide this?"

"Two weeks ago," I deadpan. He looks confused for a millisecond then the light bulb goes off. His eyes narrow at me, crossing his arms over his chest.

"So, you're blaming me for the reason you don't want kids?"

"No, I'm blaming myself for not wanting kids because I was too self obsessed to realize that everyone was keeping secrets from me," I state dryly.

"You were not being-"

"Can we stop talking about this an just get on with showing me the costume? If my brothers hear us they'll kill me," I whisper-shout. He looks like he wants to continue, but doesn't. He walks out of bathroom an towards my closet.

"I put them in here so it wouldn't wrinkle," he opens the doors an takes out my costume which is in a suit cover. His is there too, he holds it in his other hand. I scan the outfits trying to pinpoint what they are.

Mine is a long, black mermaid dress with netting tassels on the side. Black flats sit on the floor next to my closet, along with black wash-out hair dye, an a white makeup set.

His costume is a black suit, with dark grey stripes, a black bow tie, an dress shoes. I look on the other side of my closet an see hair gel, the same wash-out black hair dye, an a mustache.

I continue to stare at them until it clicks. I take a step back an shake my head vigorously.

"No way in hell."