Chapter 13 • Overprotective Much?

•Rayan's POV•

"Are you serious? That really happened?" Salem asks in bewilderment.

I turn to him with a shy grin, "yeah it happened. Let's just say I'm well aquatinted with a grandmothers wooden spoon." I say remembering the time my Nana chased me around with her wooden spoon because I stole a cookie off the oven.

"Wow, your family is pretty crazy," he says back to me. His voice is now hushed and soft. Like he wishes that was him.

"What about yours family? Tell me about them," I ask.

His body goes a little tense and I can see his walls are going up. This entire night hasn't been so bad after all. We talked. That's why he brought me to the ice cream shop. We just sat and talked for hours on end.

"Mom died of lung cancer when I was seven. Dad died last year in a fire. It's been me and Simone all our lives, though. My dad never cared and my mother always had medical problems and a lack of parenting skills. So, not even a story to tell," he says in a whisper. But the tone of his voice doesn't sound bothered by it. It's almost like he's angry.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you lost people close to you. I know the feeling trust me," I say.

He bitterly laughs like he doesn't even care his two most important people are gone. "They weren't parents anyways. When my mother was healthy she'd do the kindness of burning cigarettes in my back. And my father, just an ass hole with a screwed up life. Like I said no story to tell."

I just nod since I don't want to push him any further. I can't tell he's very reserved and doesn't share things much. I'm surprised I got this out of him.

"What happened to your family?" He asks in a weird way. It's almost like he knows already. Like he wants me to elaborate.

I suck in a breath as I start. Does he even want to hear this?

"On the seventeenth birthday my sister, mom, and dad were murdered. What a birthday right? I mean of all days. The police haven't even caught the ass holes who did it too. It sits with me every day. My story might not be like yours but I know how loss feels. It sucks," I say to Salem. When I meet his eyes I see pain and anguish in them. Is it something I said?

All of a sudden Salem is standing up and walking over to my side of the booth. "We should go, it's late."

"How late?" I say as I grab his arm with the watch. I don't go for my phone because I really don't need to see all the threatening texts from Dane.

I gasp when I see that it's midnight. I'm dead. I can see my corpse now. Dane and Talus are going to literally kill me.

"Come on," Salem says gesturing towards to door. We walk out to his car and he opens the door for me. The ride is silent and I can see that Salem's wall are completely surrounding him now.

After about forty-five minutes Salem pulls into his driveway and parks. When we made our way down our street he turned off his headlight so my brothers wouldn't see his car. Smart move.

We sit in a awkward silence for another minute or two and then I can't take it anymore.

"Even though you basically kidnapped me, tonight was fun. Thank you," I say grateful for out little time.

He just nods and replies with a incoherent word I don't make out. What's with him?

"Did I say something out of line? I'm sorry if I did..." I trail off.

"No it wasn't you. I just haven't been able to talk like that for awhile and have someone really listen," he whispers.

I'm taken aback by his words. Did he really just say that? I'm stunned and completely shocked. He notices my expression and instantly goes back to being icy and hard.