Chapter Forty-Two

Song of the Chapter: Shine on Me by Jussie Smollett ft. Bre-Z

Jasmine's POV

I can breathe.

I can feel my fingers.

But I'm sore and hurt. Physically and mentally.

I'm scared of opening my eyes. I'm scared that I would have to face the dangerous world I live in.

I really thought that I was dead and I could in the middle of heaven and hell.

You can do it, Vega.

I opened my eyes slowly and the first person I saw was Trey.

Trey was sleeping on a chair that looked extremely uncomfortable for his neck and back. My voice was hoarse and it felt like I haven't spoken in months.

I tried coughing a little bit and Trey was sleeping like a little baby.

I looked around and I was in a hospital bed with tubes inside of me.

"Trey," I said and coughed. He woke up immediately and fell down from his chair.

I started to laugh. He has the weirdest falls.

"You're awake," he responded. "You're actually awake. I have to call everyone." He ran out the door and I heard his yelling.

"Oh my baby!" I heard Mom exclaimed from outside the door. I saw her, Dad, Sophie, Nate, Will, and Leon. Mom touched my head gently. "Mija, I'm glad you're okay."

"Can someone tell me what's going on?" I asked. "It's like I haven't moved in weeks."

"You didn't," Will commented. "You was here for a month."

A month?! So I was lying here like a corpse for a month?

"Honey, you were in a coma," Dad added. "The doctor told us that the bullet was close to your heart. You wasn't going to make it if it hit you there."

The door opened again and saw a nurse coming in. "Oh, you're awake. Good. I'll give you a cup of water." She walks out.

"Jaz, how are you feeling?" Sophie asked.

"In pain, of course," I answered. "Where's Kayla?"

"She's in the hospital," Leon replied. "She's alive, but major injuries. When she's taken care of, she's going to be arrested of attempted murder, fraud, death threats, and the rest of what she'd done. Actually, Sophie has something to tell you."

I look at Sophie. "What is it?"

"I knew where Kayla was because she was contacting me," she started. "She's my step-sister."

Sister?!

The others didn't look shocked. But I am. I was dealing with a crazy sister.

"She told us before we came here," Mom told me. "I was shocked myself."

"Everyone, can I talk to Sophie alone?" I asked. They agreed and everyone left. The nurse came by again and gave me a cup of water. She told me that I can one visitor at a time before I can take another nap when I'm ready.

Sophie sat on one of the chairs facing me. "I wanted to tell you."

"Tell me the beginning."

"Well, she told me to be friends with you and then kidnap you, but I wasn't going to do that. I swear I wasn't going to do anything to you. But if I say something, she could kill me. You saw my dad before, right?"