2.3

2.3 - The Masked Truths

~ Niall ~

* 3 days later (March 2018) *

My mate wasn't there. At least, if she was, she isn't of age yet.

I sigh looking up at the ceiling of the school gym.

The door opens and I'm about to call out when I hear Ethan speak. "I can't believe she worries about him after the crap he has put us through," Ethan states.

Uh oh.

A conversation about me and they don't know I'm in the room. Awkward.

Well, this is my fault for hiding at the back of the gym.

"He must have a reason. You never told me about what Rob was explaining to Trix on the way back from the first meeting," Darre replies.

"She heard Lee and Niall arguing. It's probably not a big deal. Probably just a stupid argument on them being partners in class still," Ethan points out.

I gave up on that argument after three weeks as it wasn't worth the hassle.

"It is a big deal. You saw at the party how he overdone his love for Niall speech," Darre comments starting up a treadmill.

"He was drunk. He was bound to overdo it," Ethan replies starting up a different one.

"Niall looked uncomfortable there beside him. I know you saw through that smile. By the look on your face, Rob was telling you I told you so through your link."

I had to take off my waistcoat and mask before that speech so Robyn didn't realise she spoke Stephen and I. But if Ethan could see through my smile, that really says something.

"Just shut up. I'm getting a headache," Ethan retorts.

I need to get out of here but how can I do that? What act can I do to convince those two I just haven't listened to their conversation?

"No, you just hate the fact I'm right," Darre comments.

"Shut up," Ethan complains.

I decide to make my move then, I walk out from my hiding spot rubbing my eye. "Shut up about what?" I question like I just woke up.

Ethan misses a step and falls on his face then off the treadmill with its movement of the tread. Darre stops his own treadmill, laughing as he does. He composes himself. "Niall, he was talking to me. Just continue to where you are going," Darre says. He glances down at Ethan before bursting out into laughter again.

I nod before walking out the gym and watching as Darre helps Ethan up.

"How much do you think he heard in his sleep?" Ethan asks.