2 - The Masked Truths

~ Robyn ~

* 1 month later (March 2018) *

Something seems different with Niall today. He seems anxious even though he should be bouncing off the walls as it's his birthday.

I've done several things he would usually snap at and he hasn't at all. He's just remained blank, doing everything on autopilot.

I don't know why I'm worried about him when he's been such a dick over the past year, five months and one week.

Not that I've been counting at all. Why would I do that?

I risk a glance back at Trix. She tilts her head slightly as if asking what's wrong. I move my head slightly in Niall's direction. Trix's brow furrows a bit and her voice appears in my head "he's not noticed anything?"

I turn back to face the front and continue reading my textbook. "Nothing at all. He's usually snapped by now," I respond in the link.

"Someone isn't listening, is he?"

"No, blocked him out."

"Good."

To say Ethan flipped when he found out I was a bit concerned about Niall is an understatement. He sat there ranting at me for twenty minutes even though he heard me explain the shouting to Trix over the mind-link.

"You need to do something drastic to get his attention," Trix states through the link.

"Like what?" I question cautiously glancing back at her again.

Trix smirks at me before looking back at her work. "Spill your coffee on his work."

"Why wouldn't I do that? The likelihood of that happening is tiny." I put my elbow on the table, resting my forehead on my hand. I sigh quietly trying to figure out the answer to the exam question in front of me. Niall takes a quick look at me before going back to his work.

"Well, he's finally giving you attention."

"Shut up."

"You asked me how to get his attention."

"You're just violating the new mind-link."

"Why would I do that?"

"This isn't funny, I'm not spilling - shit." In my complaint, I flicked my hand slightly to get rid of the rubber shavings from my work. That resulted in me knocking my flask over and coffee onto Niall's work.

A giggle escapes Trix's mouth as I tense up waiting for Niall's reaction. "You're on your own, kid."

"It's your fault."