Chapter Six

Ladon

I tensed my grip on Taryn’s humble hands. We all sat, facing each other. Everyone was still soaking wet. 

‘I hope she doesn’t know about her parents. Is that what the locket said?’ I questioned in my mind. 

Nate drew a breath with a long gasp. I repeated his actions. 

My palms were getting clammier every second. I had to get out of this house, but I couldn’t just leave Taryn. I needed an excuse that’d make it okay to come back. 

“T, I think Nate’s going to need to get washed up before your mom comes home to soaked furniture. I’ll run home real quick and pick up some clothes for him that aren’t… well that.” I told them, pointing up and down at Nate’s fancy suit of armor. 

Taryn squeezed my hand and looked straight into my eyes with her own beautifully wide green ones, nodding in understanding. I cupped her cheeks into my hands, leaning in to kiss her. Gently, I touched my lips to her soft forehead, squeezing my eyes tightly and mustering up all the courage I had to pull away from her. 

Not being able to take it anymore, I turned from them. Reluctantly I slid open the glass doors and ran out.

I ran to the school as fast as I could, panting heavily. My car was thankfully still there. I reached into my sopping wet pocket with difficulty, searching for the silver key that went into the car’s door. Thank god I’d left the automatic set of key’s home. 

In the seat next to me, Taryn’s heels lay sprawled on the seat. I smiled at the thought of her gorgeous figure in that outfit. I pushed down hard on the petal, aggravated with myself. 

I only live five minutes away from school, so in no time I had already gotten home. With a deep breath, I tried to sneak in as quietly as I could. My dad would surely be mad if I came home early. 

I’d never had great luck. After I’d clenched my teeth and let the squishy material on the front door become silent as it was pushed into the bottom of the doorframe, I turned to find my Dad’s eyes hovering over me in disgust. 

“Why are you home?” He insists.

“Relax,” I say starting to keep walking, “I’m just coming to get extra clothes because I’m staying at Taryn’s tonight.” I speak as I pass him. He makes sure his shoulder hits mine with force. 

“Oh?” He asks, his eyes widening with excitement. 

“Yeah, the locket opened… they’re both at Taryn’s…” I speak, ice chilling my voice. 

“Well this is perfect!” He exclaims, clapping his hands together with a loud smack. “Well hurry up then!” He says, trying to push me upstairs to my bedroom. My shoulders droop. 

“No… you don’t get it. There’s another person. A boy. I think he’s a…” I start, before he 

“A WHAT?” He asks, raising his deep voice. He’s obviously irritated. 

“I think he’s the princess’ guard.” I say flatly. I flinch as he throws his hands up in the air. 

“WELL ISN’T THAT GREAT!” His voice echoes through the whole house, “I GAVE YOU A JOB, LADON. DO IT!” He booms. 

I nod, gulping loudly. Without needing to be told twice, I walk myself up the stairs and straight into my bedroom, collapsing onto my bed. It’s soft and comforting and so warm. For elated moments, I pray I could just stay here the rest of my life. 

That’s not the way it works though, and eventually I push myself to get up and start collecting the things I’ll need. Shirts, shoes, socks, pants, and belts. I pack them all in a small black backpack with ease.