23. Can we talk?

Lydia-POV

"As you may have heard, Lydia I am in the matter of fact dying." Mr. Stilinski croaks through his chapped lips.

"Yes, I am aware," I reply with a tear striking down my cheek.

"I know that after I am gone Stiles is going to be a mess, lash out a bit, and not be able to handle it because I am the only family he has besides Scott, his friends, and you." I nod to show that I understand every word he is saying. "Lydia, I want you to make sure he is okay. I know he cares for you deeply so I just want you to care for him like he does for you. I remember when you used to come to our house to play in the backyard with him. I remember the both of you coming closer to one another in high school and when you started to act like detectives, solving those supernatural problems." He reminds me of the times in the past when I was a child and when I was a young adolescent spending time with Stiles.

I grab Mr. Stilinski's hand. His hands are ice cold to the touch, but I wrap my warm ones around them and the words I feel in my heart just start coming out. "I love your son so much, Mr. Stilinski. I know last time I saw him we were fighting, but I still have this inkling that he still feels the same for me like I do for him. So you can count on me to look after him. I promise," He gives me a smile and rubs his thumb up and down my hand.

He nods in agreement and says, "I can tell you right now I know Stiles loves you so dearly. I know that you may not have seen it, but Stiles hasn't been the same after all that has happened to you. Although he has lived without you for the past couple of years that doesn't mean that once he saw you again he could just flip the switch and act like didn't exist.  Once he saw you today I thought I saw a little of my son resurface. That's why I wanted some time alone with you, to talk about him. You already know that Stiles is my only child. I don't have a daughter just one son, Stiles. If the roles were reversed I would be telling this to a man who would like to be with my daughter." I nod and he continues, "well Lydia in this case you are the man and Stiles is my daughter. I know that you both care about each other deeply. In the end, if the two of you do end up together and work through all the history between the both of you, I give you my blessing to be with him."

"I hope we do Mr. Stilinski. I hope we do," I nod with tears streaming down my face.

We both smile at each other and then Stiles walks back in the room. I wipe the tears off of my cheek.

"Hey, you two! Now, what did you two talk about while I was away?"  He asks bringing in a cup of coffee and a grin on his face that couldn't even express how happy he was.

"Nothing that you don't already know," Mr. Stilinksi replies.

"Lyds, shouldn't you go back to your room and get some rest?" I nod at Stiles. He decides to wheel me out of Mr. Stilinski's room and back to my hospital room.

"Thank you, Mr. Stilinski," I smile taking one last look at Stiles' father in the hospital bed.

"Lydia, thank you. Don't forget what I said," he responds.

I nod and reply, "I won't." We smile at each other, then we both look and smile at Stiles.

"Is there something I missed?" Stiles questions, but we both shake our heads in response.

"No, Stiles.  Wheel me back please." He does what I tell him too.

--------------------------------------------------------

Stiles wheels me down the hallway of the west wing of Beacon Memorial Hospital.

"Stiles," I call.

"Yeah, Lyds.  Is something wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing's wrong. I was just wondering if I could ask you something?" He stops rolling me in my wheelchair and squats down in front of my wheelchair so I can speak to him. He grabs my hands and brings it up to his face.