4. I McCalled Some People

Stiles-POV

It's been three weeks since I learned of the plans that the pack is going to Florida for a two-week get-a-way.

For the past three weeks, I have been working more shifts, closing a few more cases, and checking up on my Dad. I told my Dad about the two-week vacation that we were planning to go on before our high school reunion. I was still a bit hesitant to go, but my Dad told me, "I'm fine Stiles. Go enjoy yourself, hang out with some friends. I'll call you later, start packing, and if you need some money you know where my credit card is," with a nonchalant attitude. I knew that my father was trying to put on a brave face on for me, but it still made my heart twist up inside just looking at his physical appearance. His skin color faded into like a fog gray and he lost some weight compared to how he appeared only a year ago.

I thought about what my Dad told me to do, hang out with some friends. The only problem is I don't really have friends anymore, they all grew up and started a life that didn't include me.

Allison and Issac live in Beacon Hills with their daughter, Rachel. Rachel is three years old.  She is probably the cutest and most spoiled little girl ever to be seen. Allison and Isaac waited about two years after they got married before they had Rachel. Allison is a guidance counselor at Beacon Hills High School and Isaac works for CPS (Child Protective Services). Rachel attends day care between Monday and Friday. At the end of the day, although they are all busy, they are one picturesque happy family. Sometimes I talk to them or they invite me over for dinner. However, a part of me tries to stay out of their lives because sometimes I feel like I am intruding. As much as I like to talk, to hang out, to just visit, or call them I feel like I am just one annoying disruption to their small little family they are only beginning to build. While the other part of me envies what they have, a family.

Then there is the fact that my best friend and his wife are not around in Beacon Hills to keep me company anymore. Scott is a veterinarian and is considered to be one of the best in the country. While Scott is busy caring for animals each day, Kira works at the fashion company that she created, Fox Fire, which is considered to be one of the most well-known fashion lines existing today. The people that invested and helped Kira build her line into a brand name insisted that she moved the company to Miami, Florida because if the headquarters was in a warm and beachy environment then sales would most likely increase and the popularity of the line would too. Scott and Kira made the decision to move there, so they could be together and are now both loaded with money. They got married before they left Beacon Hills and have only returned on a few occasions, but good thing that Skype and all those other apps to stay connected exist or else I would probably never hear from and miss that uneven jawline of his too much.

My ex-wife, Malia worked as a zookeeper in the Beacon Hills Local Zoo since the end of high school. She became miserable over time because of the idea of a routine that we had formed. I like routines, but Malia got bored of them. I still remember the endless nagging and her repeatedly telling me that it was all my fault that she worked there and her life sucked during the two months of our marriage. She never got drunk in our marriage until the last two months. When I came home late, she usually was drunk and used to yell at me, "if I was single right now, I would probably own a bar in Mexico and party all night. Why can't you just let me have fun and let loose for once? Sometimes I wish I was single, so I could leave this ugly ass town and never come back."

However, even though we are divorced now Malia and I still communicate to one another. I actually had a brief conversation with her this morning to give her the news that we are officially divorced and to also see how she was doing.

"Malia, what have you been up to lately?" I asked casually over the phone.

"Nothing much, as you know I told you to forward my mail to Arizona," she spoke eagerly. Before I could respond she continued, "well guess what I got a job as a zookeeper at The Phoenix Zoo in Arizona during the day and Theo hired me to work as a waitress at the bar he bought at night. It's a different scenery than Beacon Hills and I have to say it's growing on me," Malia sounded stoked.