9. A Former Boy Toy

Lydia-POV

I knew I was tired, so I climbed into bed with Stiles about an hour ago.  However, I can't fall asleep.  Instead, I toss and turn under the sheets, trying to get comfortable. I feel like my body is telling me that sleep is not a necessity and I would be fine without it. Finally done with the whole not being able to sleep thing, I get out of my bed, take a blanket from the wooden chest in the corner of our room, and slide my pink slippers on covering my shiny red pedicure. I move across the room silently, being careful not to wake up Stiles. He looks so adorable when he is sleeping. His hair ruffled and his bangs lie across his forehead, not up in the air like usual. Meanwhile, his arms on the other hand are spread out across his pillow. I make my way over to the balcony door, and open it gently. I sit down on one of the chairs outside, hoping I can try to fall asleep outside and all I need is a different setting. I snuggle up against the chair and wrap my blanket around my body tightly since it tends to get chilly at night. I shut my eyes and once I am about to fall asleep, I hear footsteps shuffling from behind. I look over my shoulder to find a groggy, half-asleep Stiles at the doorway.

"Hey, Lyds. Why aren't you sleeping in the bed?" He asks as he wipes his arm across his face trying to wake up.

"Can't sleep," I reply, pulling the blanket up more.

"Is it because of me? Lydia, if you want I can go and sleep on the couch downstairs, if I am bothering you?" He offers.

"No, Stiles it's not you... it's just I am not really used to sleeping with another guy ever since you know," I say not feeling a sensation tears start to stream down my cheeks or form puddles of water in my eyes. Instead of having the urge to cry, I feel sadness and it is clearly evident in my voice, "Jordan died."

He waltzes over from the doorway to the bedroom to lean against the small white barrier fence on the balcony. "You probably aren't that comfortable with me yet since we haven't seen each other in a while," Stiles replies with a genuine smile of care. "I have an idea. You know what, how about you ask me any question you want? So you can know the new Stiles better."

"Sure. That sounds like a good idea," I respond, taking my hair out of a ponytail and place the hair tie around my wrist.

"Shoot your question, Martin," Stiles commands. He takes a seat in the other chair across from me. I adjust my chair, so we can look at each other when we talk.

"What happened between you and Malia?" I ask in a serious tone. I immediately regretted asking that question the moment the words fell off of my lips. "Oh gosh! Never mind! That was really insensitive of me to ask. Just ignore."

"No, Lydia it's fine just, where do I begin? You know how we met and all, so I will skip those details. We got married a few years back.  Marriage was more of a complication for the two of us, and then one day I caught her cheating on me. After that, we decided that divorce was what the two of us needed because we weren't working anymore, which brings us to today.  A twenty-eight-year-old recently divorcée constantly being reminded that his ex-wife has moved on while I'm still trying to process and accept it all," Stiles explains.

"Wow! I really am sorry that it didn't work out between the two of you, but I am even more sorry if I made you feel vulnerable in any way. Especially with a girl you haven't seen in about ten years. Vulnerability sucks," I attempt to make an apology.

"Well, if it helps you're the girl that it is worth talking to about this deep dramatic shit with. Besides it's not your fault that you asked the question, your just a curious person, Martin. There is no need to be ashamed of that. Anyways, before the divorce, Malia and I were unhappy for awhile. At first, we were happy to be with each other and so in love, but over time we became distant and sometimes love just gradually fades away. It's the little things that matter the most. For instance, we used to ask about each other's day and then one day we just stopped. Then we grew apart even more, when I started to work later shifts at the station. As a result, she started to drink to cope with my absence in her life. You know how Malia likes to live in the moment and be spontaneous, she wants to feel a bit of danger and risk, but our life together I guess just bored her along with the whole concept of settling down. Pretty much the basic starter pack for people who are divorced."