20. Motel Confession Room

Lydia-POV

Stiles opens the door for me while I carry Rachel into the motel lobby. I take a seat in the small waiting area in the lobby and give Rachel her tablet while Stiles talks to the woman behind the front desk with bright pink hair styled in a bob and dark brown eyes. She is wearing a black tube top which reveals a tattoo across her chest and lower neck of a purple butterfly with one of its wings torn off. Her tattoo is probably a weird metaphor that only she understands. On the other side of the woman's neck, there is a big hickey mark that she didn't even try to cover up.

Stiles leans against the front desk and I can hear him talking to the woman, "hello, could I get two rooms or one room with two beds please?" Stiles is visibly shaking out of his skin when the woman suddenly begins to pet his forearm. Which is a bit weird considering that to my knowledge Stiles has never met or let alone seen her before.

Rachel swings her legs back and forth without being disturbed and then she asks me, "do you know where my headphones are?"

"Yeah, they are in the car how about if we go back and wait for Uncle Stiles?" I ask giving her a warm smile and reaching out my hand so she can grab it.

We exit the lobby and head back to the Jeep since Stiles kept it unlocked.  I help Rachel get situated in the back and all I feel like doing is crying. Since Rachel has her headphones on and Stiles is not in the Jeep I silently start crying, letting out a few whimpers here and there, and tears run down my cheeks. Every so often I look out of the rear view mirror and I see Rachel swaying her small little body back and forth to whatever music is coming out of her headphones.

All of the sudden the speakers in the motel's parking lot go off and I can hear the conversation the woman at the front desk is having with Stiles. The lady at the desk must have accidentally flipped the switch on the speaker system or something like that.

"I am sorry, Sweetie Pie we only have one room available tonight and that room only has one bed, but there is also a small cot for a little child. But, you can stay in there if you like with whoever you brought in your jeep," He glances behind and stares at me for a second through the glass doors of the lobby. I quickly turn away to hide the fact that I am visibly in tears, but I know he spots me. When the lady begins to speak again I turn back to watch Stiles, "Or we could split that room?" the woman offers intertwining her hand and her sharp blue fingernails into his hand.

But Stiles being the gentlemen he is sometimes, he politely declines, "I would love too, but I have a wife and my daughter is in the car. I don't think that would be such a good idea." He lies trying to avoid her proposal, but his little white lie he told made me feel tingly inside.

"Damn it and you were cute too!" She releases her hand from his and hands him a room key. She then drops the room key into his hand and says, "Enjoy the room and you pay once the key gets back in my hands," she smiles at him and starts flipping through some pages of a magazine.

He exits the building and I fix my appearance and act like I didn't even hear his conversation with butterfly tattooed woman. He opens the passenger door on my side and he whispers in my ear, "can we talk when Rachel goes to sleep?"

I give him a quick nod and he helps me out of his Jeep. When are hands touch a chill is sent down my spine and I can hardly breathe. I refuse to make eye contact with him and avoid looking at him with every inch of my body like he is Medusa or something even more hideous. But he is nothing remotely close to repulsive. 

I unbuckle Rachel out of her car seat while he empties out our bags from the trunk. It was a good thing that Stiles kept a bag of his stuff in his trunk for emergency purposes that included his essentials.