Cal shoots him a look then turns back towards me.

"Maybe not..." He says bitingly "But if it does I'll at least be able to monitor the situation and get you out."

There's something in his expression that makes me think he's not telling the whole truth. As his eyes linger on mine, I wonder if part of the reason is that he doesn't want to be around me and his brother.

Our gazes lock onto each other for a moment longer than is comfortable before he gestures that I go and sit in the damp looking booth between Crystal and Cupid. I look at it apprehensively for a moment.

"Go on then..." he says.

His tone of voice is hard, but there is a gentleness in his face.

I nod and make my way towards it. There is a seat caved into the dirt wall and as I sit down Cal closes the door behind me. The rotting wood touches my knees and I suddenly feel claustrophobic.

Cal looks in at my face through the barred window.

"Put the chip in your ear" he says.

I do so, feeling the alien coldness against my skin.

Cal takes a step back and looks at the three of us.

"I'm going to establish a link between the Sims" he says "So you should be able to navigate from one to the next. From what I know of the Minotaur – he will have managed to create the most complex one - I should be able to fit the others inside of it. I expect his will be..."

"A labyrinth" interjects Crystal from the booth next to mine.

Cal's gaze lingers on her booth for a moment and I notice a loneliness in his expression I hadn't noticed before. Then he nods solemnly between the bars.

"I suggest you split up and make your way through the maze – collecting the others on your way." He continues. "I'll put in an exit at the centre – that's your way out."

He looks at Cupid seriously.

"Stay away from the ferry port and..."

A troubled look crosses his face.

"You could be facing some pretty bad stuff in there...Don't die."

He turns on his heel and makes his way back up the corridor leaving the three of us sat uncomfortably in the small, damp cells. My clothes are still wet from when I freed Cupid and I shiver.

"What happens if we die in the Sim?" I whisper.

There's a pause in conversation as the loud, screeching sound of stone on stone resounds around the room. Cal must have gone back into the indoor courtyard and sealed us in. The lights in the corridor suddenly switch off and we are left in pitch darkness.

"We die" whispers Cupid in response.

I swallow my growing panic and am about to ask him how likely that is to happen when a wave of nausea overcomes me. I hear a faint buzzing noise in my ear, and the room feels like it has started to move.

"Close your eyes" says Cupid. "We're going in."

***

When I open my eyes again we're still in darkness but it feels more open; like we're outside. Cupid and Crystal are standing on either side of me.  In front of us is a high arched door with brass handles.

I glance at them as they stare seriously at it.

They both look different than they did moments before.