Chapter 59

We sit in tense silence for a few minutes before Cal exhales

We sit in tense silence for a few minutes before Cal exhales. He grabs his bow from the satchel beside me and opens the car door.

"I'm going to try and get a bit closer - see if I can see what's going on." he says.

He looks at me and then Cupid.

"Behave yourselves." he adds sharply before stepping out of the car.

Cupid turns in his seat and pulls a face as his brother makes his way stealthily down the side walk. We fall back into silence and Cupid rests his head against the back of his seat.

"Listen Lila" he says heavily after a few moments "I've been thinking..."

In the mirror his jawline looks tense.

"What is it?" I ask.

He turns to face me again - his ocean eyes are blazing.

"Tonight. As soon as we've got the Finis...." he pauses and runs a hand through his ruffled hair.

He sighs.

"As soon as we've got the Finis...." he repeats "I'm going to leave town. Get out of Forever Falls for good. We're more powerful with the Finis - and safer, but realistically it's just bought us some time. Yes, they won't come after us instantly with no means to kill my brother or I - but with me here I can't promise the Arrows won't still go after you to ensure the match isn't made. And if the match is  made....well you know what happens then.... I don't want to put you in any more danger."

Even though I kind of knew this was going to happen, I feel as though I've been slapped in the face.

I remember what he said the first time I spent the night at his place. About how everyone has one match, and once they're gone they are alone.

What if Cupid is my only chance for love?

I want to tell him not to go. To stay here with me.

But I know that is stupid. And selfish.

I shrug.

"OK." I say blankly.

He looks at me - pain crossing his features.

"Lila" he says "I have to..."

He reaches out for my hand but I pull away.

"I know" I say - averting my eyes from his face and turning towards the window.

He sighs and after a few minutes I shake my head.

Regardless of the fact he now seems to have acquired a conscience - he used me to try and resurrect an ancient goddess, and now he's leaving.

"You should never have come here" I blurt angrily into the silence.

His eyes widen and he looks momentarily hurt. Then a flash of annoyance crosses his face.