Dancing

I've been to a few small weddings before, but this was crazy.

So many people, so many waiters, so much noise! I tightened my arm in James, afraid I'd get lost. I glanced over at Gabriella, but Dan seemed more scared than her. James and I exchanged nervous looks.

"How are we going to find this guy?!" I asked, yelling over the music.

"No clue" James yelled back.

   The DJ was blasting 'Hotline Bling' and almost everyone was jamming out. Gabriella and I fit right in with our knee length dresses. Dan and James nodded to each other and we separated. James and I walked over to the right of the floor while Gabriella and Dan walked to the left. James began dancing in place, and I followed.

We were basically jumping in style.

   After a little bit of 'dancing' we got frustrated.

"Ugh, we're never gonna find him with everyone jumping around" I sighed.

"Stay here, I have a plan" James said before he walked to the DJ's table.

I stood there, tapping my foot impatiently, and played with the hem of my dress. A few minuets later James came back.

"What was your plan?" I asked.

"You'll see" James replied coolly.

I huffed. After the song ended, a slower song came on. The crowd looked confused.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen, it's time to slow things down. The next few songs will be slow" The DJ announced  in an annoying low voice.

"Is this your plan?" I mocked James.

"Why yes it is. If no one is jumping around, then we can see this guy easier" James said.

"Smart" I said.

"Shall we?" James asked, putting his hand out.

"Oh, um, I never formally danced before. Well, in the 6th grade I did, but I don't remember. Why can't we just stand by the snack table?" I pleaded.

"Nope, come on. Follow my lead" James proclaimed.

I smiled and took his hand. James slipped his hand around my waist and pulled me closer to him. He used his other hand to put mine on his neck.

Cliché, but enjoyable.

James's other hand went around my waist, and we began to sway. We both smiled. He looked into my eyes. It felt almost impossible to break away from his strong gaze. James opened his mouth to say something, but closed it. I looked at the floor, most likely blushing. He sighed, and lifted my chin so I would look him in the eye again.

"I like it this way" James said as I stared into his sea green eyes.

"Me too" I echoed.

Our eyes locked for a bit longer before...

"This ain't no love story, love birds. This is a mission" Gabriella interrupted.

James made a low coughing sound in the back of his throat and sent me a silent message before looking away.

Sorry he said with sad eyes.

I shrugged sending the message of: What can you do?

"Dan and James, go look in the boys restroom. Amanda and I will keep looking out here" Gabriella demanded of the boys.

After the boys walked away, there was an uneasy silence between Gabriella and I.

"Amanda, I need to talk to you"
She finally whispered.

"Yes, Gabriella?" I snapped.

"Look about that, I'm sorry. Call me Gabby"

"But I thought I was non-tolerable"

"I'm sorry, it's just that you're so innocent, but at the same time you can kick butt. I'm envious"

"Of me? If this is a joke-"

"It's not, and I want to try to get along with you. After you fought those two monsters by yourself, I knew that you could do more than just look pretty"

"Thanks, I guess"

"Anyways, we're getting off topic. I wanted to tell you that I have an eerie feeling that we're being watched. I felt it ever since we landed here"

My jaw almost hung slack. I wasn't just me! I knew it.

"Me too. I thought I was being paranoid, but I'm so relived to hear that!" I said with relief.

Just then Dan ran up to us.

"I think we found him"