The Fight

I sprang up from my resting spot on the ground when I heard a strange noise.
Oh gods. I thought. What now?

   I remembered something almost instantly. Madi had said something about monsters in the woods for training or whatnot.

Great. Just my luck.

   I unsheathed my dagger, the only weapon I had, and Eclipse bared his fangs. I limped backwards, not wanting to face what was behind the trees. I had no skill what so ever.

None. Zip NADA.

   There was no moonlight out, so I couldn't magically use its powers to help me find my inner warrior lady thingmAbob.

   My leg was still numb and I could barley walk on it. I squinted, trying to look through the trees to see what I might be facing, but all I saw was leaves. A noise came from behind me and I turned. Nothing. Noise from my side. Noise from the other side. I couldn't see anything.

   Then, so quickly I couldn't tell what was happening until it was to late, a giant scorpion emerged from the trees in front of me. Then behind me. Then from both of my sides.

"We're surrounded. Get ready to fight"

   I told Eclipse. As soon as I finished my sentence, the scorpion in front of my lunged right for my chest. Screaming, I rolled out of the way to have another one pinch at me.

I dodged that one and landed on my bad leg.
"Uhhhh" I screamed. Right when another was about to come at me, Eclipse jumped in front of me and growled.
"Careful boy" I said through gritted teeth.

My leg was in a lot of pain. Eclipse jumped onto the scorpion and bit it's neck. The monster disintegrated into dust that was swept away in the summer breeze. One down, three to go.

   I got up blinking back tears, but I think the universe (or the gods, whatever) took pity on me and my leg went completely numb again so I was in less pain.

   I charged at one of the scorpions. It's pointy tail dove down straight for me. I crawled out of the way and swung myself onto its back, just to get thrown off again.
Wow, this was hard.

   Eclipse ran around that scorpion, hopped on its back, and bit its neck.

Again.

This wolf was a show off.

The monster was reduced to dust and Eclipse ran over to me.
"I'm fi- oh no!" I said.

   The other two scorpions weren't happy we killed their cousins, and we were cornered. I finally cracked, and started crying. No not crying, bawling.
"W-we're gonna da- die!" I said, tears streaming down my face. Both scorpions raised their tails, ready to strike.

   Eclipse let out a long, loud howl, and I had to cover my ears because it was so loud. I was going to die a loser, alone. My wolf saved me twice while I just sat helpless on the ground. Now, when Eclipse was in trouble, even I couldn't help him.

   I hugged Eclipse tight, crying into his fur. All of a sudden my necklace felt as cold as ice, then became warm again.  I didn't care at all. Not even a little bit.

   I looked up and everything seemed to happen in slow motion. The scorpions' tails came down, and a few inches from our faces, both scorpions flew to the right and disintegrated. I wiped my eyes with my wrists and looked up.

   Standing in front of me was Chiron and a buff girl with brown hair and had freckles sprinkled all over her body.

   I felt like an idiot sitting helpless and crying in front of this warrior girl. She picked up her sword from the pile of dust and looked at me.

"I'm Gabriella"