The Elite - Chapter Twenty-One.

Chapter (21)

  The tension in the air was evident. I wouldn’t be surprised if sparks burst from how hard we where trying to stay fearless. We took our positions, and where left looking around the room. It wasn’t the best place to be for a battle since it was a little small but we had no other choice. Lily had the upper hand and we where just waiting on her to use it.

  We didn’t know if she would bring reinforcements or come on her own. We didn’t know if she was strong enough to not need reinforcements. Only time would tell.

  Minutes past in the smoky room, the fire in the corner burning out but it felt like hours. Being quick, I slipped my heels off and stood in my bare feet, causing Pippa to stare at me.

  “What?” I whispered to her. She was across from me, positioned between Matt and Bonny. “They hurt.”

  Pippa shook her head, the edge of her lips pulling up into a sort-of smile before turning back around and shifting into fighting stance.

  Silence engulfed The Elite, the only sound surrounding us the sound of burning and fizzing. The fire had gone right through a leather couch, eating its way through the table beside it. I didn’t even know how that fire had gotten their in the first place.

  “Such a lovely sight.”

  The Elite didn’t even cringe as Lily stepped out of the shadows, a white dress bunching around her ankles. She seemed dressed for the occasion, unlike I who felt the strap of my dress sliding over my shoulder.

  “This can be avoided.” She said loudly, the sound of her voice bouncing across the room. Rayson flinched to my right and I tried not to send her a look. We needed to look fearless and ready for whatever she threw our way. We needed to stay united.

  “If you come with me now, Daughter, I will spare everyone else’s lives.” Lily’s eyes bolted to me, her pupil’s enlarging and taking over the gold like burnt amber.

  “No.” I said, pushing my way through Matt, Bonny and Pippa who tried to hold me back but failed. This wasn’t in the plan, I knew that. Matt, Bonny and Pippa where to lead our small army with Jude, Rayson, Hannah and I behind them and so on.

  But it couldn’t be like that now.

  I needed to be in front of Lily. I needed to show her that I was no longer alone.

  I stayed in our circle while giving her the harshest daggers I could muster up.

  “Lives are at stake here, Cassandra. Do you really want to risk them?” Her grin was so evil and nearly infectious.

  Did I want to risk their lives? No.

  Did I need to? Yes.

  It was as simple as that; I needed them to help fight this war against evil. Because, after all, that’s what we where created for, right?

  I didn’t answer her question but instead took a step back, getting in the middle of Matt and Bonny who gripped onto my arms, as if to keep me there.

  “You little – !”

  Before Lily could take her first step forward, fire immerged in a circle, shooting up from the carpet as if right from the fiery pits of hell. I looked around in confusion, the circle of fire surrounding each of The Elite and protecting us from Lily.

  My eyes snapped to Hannah, who had her eyes closed and was whispering something under her sweet breath. Her hands where held slightly out in front of her, her fingers outstretched and shaking lightly.