PoH Chapter 14

Author's Note: It's getting harder to wake up in the morning. Here's the new chapter :D

Enjoy, comment and vote please!

4 Votes: August 6

Normality: August 8

--------------------------

I’m not exactly sure why, but my voice, my “sacrifice,” was especially strong, so instead of attracting a few demons, I can attract hundreds or Aclytes. But where there is an Aclyte, there are no demons.

            I smiled sweetly, knowing no one could do anything without revealing any secrets.

            “…Lin?” Aleck asked slowly, looking at me with appalled eyes. Trent looked shocked.

            “What?” I said in my most innocent voice. “I can talk whenever I want to talk.”

            It’s been a while since I’ve talked so much. It felt strange, and I’m not going to even bother getting used to it. Just for today, or at least, till his relatives leave.

            They knew I was a Protector the minute Aleck said my name, I was certain of it. They should know that I killed Richard, right?

            “So you guys gonna go in or what?” I asked.

            Just for today.

            ****

            I’m taking a large gamble by going inside a house full of Aclytes. Even worse, with their King there, I had the chance of being dead in five seconds. But Trent, Aleck, and Aaron were there. Aleck was there. I don’t care if he’s an Aclyte; we still had some kind of a bond. At least, I did. As much as I would love to kill everyone, I couldn’t. I couldn’t will myself to kill Aleck, or my “brother,” or even Aaron.

           It still feels strange for me to talk, so though I wanted to exploit the moment, I still didn’t feel like talking very much.

            “Lin, can I talk to you alone?” Aleck asked me. We were in the living room with everyone messing around with Aleck’s Wii. We were sitting in a two-seater, Aleck’s arm slung around my shoulder. I nodded, and we slipped away to his room. He sat me on his bed and looked me in the eye. “Why are you suddenly talking? Didn’t you say those demons would come?”

            “I suddenly feel like talking, and nothing’s happened,” I shrugged.

            “Lin, as happy as it makes me to hear your voice, you shouldn’t speak. Isn’t it dangerous for you?” Aleck frowned.

            “Oh, I don’t know,” I rolled my eyes. “The lack of an earthquake is telling me that it’s fine.”      

            I’m starting to crack. I wanted to get out of this house, to just bolt out the door and never come back, hit something, and burst into tears. But I hid it, to make it seem like there was nothing wrong with me. Of course, the fact that I’m speaking is already disturbing.

            “Something’s not right, is that it?” Aleck asked, his voice full of concern.

            And so I truly did just break.

            “Of course something’s wrong!” I yelled. I knew I was right about to step onto a landmine, but I didn’t care anymore. “Nothing’s right anymore! What with that whole kiss thing and then now, I don’t even know who I can trust, not even you!”