PoH Chapter 13

Author's Note: Any questions will be explained later (like, next chapter or 2) so don't worry :P

Enjoy, comment and vote please!

4 Votes: August 2

Normality: August 4

------------------------------------------

I sometimes find myself questioning where Aleck goes when he disappears, but in the end, I always forget about it.

            Since Aaron was also out of town for some reason, I had a quiet day to myself. Aleck had left me the keys to his house (“Feel free to go in.”), though, I could still go in by picking the lock or using the spare under the potted plant outside his door.

            So I did.

            I went into his room, just planning on using his laptop. Mine had crashed earlier, and now had been sent out to be fixed. I opened up his Facebook to see that he was still logged on. Now, a normal person would have the urge to look through his PMs, and I, as his best friend, should hold back that urge.

            Nah, who am I kidding? This was a golden opportunity to find some way to blackmail him (yeah, I’m not really afraid of being evil towards him. We have that relationship.)!

            I clicked on his messages, clicking on the first one that said, “Family reunion for funeral,” smirking to myself at the chances that I could find out a few secrets about his family. He was adamant on telling me about his family, so I’ve always been curious.

            ****

            I slammed down on Aleck’s laptop. Lucky for him that I didn’t break anything.

            ALECK’S POV

            “Recently, Richard was killed while on his hunt for the Silver Heart,” the King, or my father, or just plain Alex, sighed. “The fool…”

            We had a moment of silence for our youngest family member.

            “Now, concerning his funeral,” Alex said.

            ****

            “Bro, can I please?” Lili was hanging onto my arm, absolutely begging with tears in her eyes.

            “Pleeeeeease?” Jennice was on it too. They were the second youngest ones despite their appearances. As an Aclyte, we could age however we wanted to. “We want to see where you live!”

            Twins.

            Lili had the appearance of an eight year old while Jennice was like a fifteen year old. However, she had reverted to an eight year old to win me over.

            They weren’t allowed on Earth unless one of us let them visit, and so far, none of us had.

            “Fine,” I groaned. “Just get off me, please.”

            They cracked grins and high-fived each other in some complex manner, Jennice changing back into her normal look.

            “You know, why don’t we all go, as a small vacation?” Alex asked. “Trent, you were about to head to the same place.”

            “Yeah,” Trent nodded and gave me a smirk when Alex wasn’t looking. They weren’t aware of whom Lin truly was, or that she lived next door. Only Trent knew all the details. Aaron didn’t even know I lived next door despite walking Lin home!

            This is going to be just great.

LIN'S POV

We’re all obliged to keep secrets.

            I didn’t have to work this Sunday, so I took my day to sit outside on the porch swing and make some progress on my current game. P.E. shorts, white tank top, and flip-flops. Noon.

            I heard the undeniable rumbling of Aleck’s crappy pickup and I looked up. Indeed, the red thing was struggling to get down the street. I took a deep breath. I couldn’t say anything, no matter what. Even though the urge to scream at him was killing me.

            Wait.

            Something… feels off.

            ****

            I flinched and leaned forward, my hands clutching my PSP tightly as I held my head. I could sense demons, like any other Protector, but only in a small range. It’s the reason why I never sensed Richard till I was the park or Riley in the infirmary. Too far.

            But when I did, there was a pressure in my head that lasted a few seconds, and the pain depended on how strong the demon was.

            My head felt like it was about to explode.

            I raised my head, panting for breath as the pain disappeared.

            It couldn’t be…

            ****

            I walked up to Aleck’s pickup, my PSP held firmly. I gave him a confused look, because I was honestly confused. Though, the lies will start soon.

            “Hey,” he grinned, giving me a hug. “I know, I’m back early. The funeral went faster than I thought.” He let me out of his arms, but kept one around my side, keeping me close.

            “Some of my family members wanted to see where I lived, so I let them come back with me. They’ll be staying for a bit,” Aleck smiled and out clambered three people. Two girls, and an older man. “This is Lili, my baby cousin.” He pointed to the girl hugging a doll. She waved shyly, her blonde curls shining.

 “That’s Jennice, my other cousin.” Aleck nodded to the girl busy on her phone. She was the typical teenager, texting all the time, booty shorts. Her brown hair was just slightly past her shoulders. “Finally, this is my cousin Alex.”

            Alex waved, smiling.

            “Too bad your parents couldn’t come,” he said to Aleck.

            “Yeah, I know right? Always so busy,” Aleck sighed. “So guys, this is –”

            A horn beeped and a black sports car rolled up into my driveway. I wasn’t surprised, but I held in a flinch. Another horrible split second headache.

            “Trent, you’re here early!” Aleck grinned.

            “Yeah, couldn’t wait to come see you two,” Trent smiled. My older brother was muscular, with short, spiked black hair, and emerald eyes. This guy was my role model, or should I say, my former one.

            He gave me a hug, then Aleck.

            Finally, as I suspected, Aaron appeared, waving.

            I didn’t feel a headache from him, just like Aleck. But it didn’t throw me off. The message was all I needed to see to know the reason why I didn’t get a pain from those two.

            “So you gonna let us in or are we just going to stand out here?” Alex asked, gesturing to Aleck’s door.

            “Oh yeah!” Aleck said. He seemed to be ignoring Aleck. “Before I forget, guys, I have to introduce you to this girl. This is Lin, my best friend.”

            “That’s a pretty name,” Lili said, giving me a meek smile.

            They’re all such good actors.

            Well guess what, Aleck? I’m not letting this secret go.

            “Thanks,” I smiled.