The surprise bundle of beauty

Start from the beginning

Three long and painful days later we were in Vegas. Dimitri pulled into a hotel not on the glitter strip. It was nice, classy but not overdone or overpriced. After checking in— with a receptionist who seemed to have seen more dramatic and age-gap-inappropriate couples— we dropped our tiny bags in our nice, clean room. Then we quickly showered and changed, I hurried some light make-up that Dimitri wasn't hesitant to tell me that I didn't need, and we headed back out. He'd booked us in ahead and we had just enough time to find my engagement ring and our wedding bands before we had to meet with the celebrant and say I Do.

Dimitri might not have had the contacts to get me into Victor's trial, but he did know how to pull off this wedding. I'd always known he'd never let me down, and this was no exception.

"Well Mrs Belikov, how about room service?" asked Dimitri between kisses. We were lounging on the couch in the heated living room, me in my maternity undies and bra, bump on full show, Dimitri shirtless, TV on and final snow falling for the winter outside.
"If you quit making me feel ancient."
"You mean grown up," he teased. "I love you, Mrs Belikov."
"Get that room service ordered before I throttle you," I growled playfully and pushed him off the couch. We laughed and he left to find the menu and phone.

The next night we found ourselves in a little apartment in Ventura, Cali. This was where we'd be hiding for another sixteen days... or more, depending. We had so much to buy, but we still couldn't buy too much.

We stuck to the absolute essentials when we spent the next week buying stuff. Our top priority was the car seat and capsule— and having it properly installed. Then came the port-a-cot and two changes of clothes. On day two we prioritised sorting out the diaper bag. Day three was bottles, formula, another two changes of clothes and bibs. Day four was focused on a basinet and other absolute essentials. I was ready to pop on the fifth day of shopping, making sure I had a hospital bag ready. I couldn't believe just how tender and well... sheltering and overprotective my husband was.

We had a temporary set up by day six. And that was when I went into labour. Contractions ripped through me at midnight, shaking me from my fitful sleep, and sent Dimitri into a controlled frenzy to get me to the hospital.

Six hours later it was over. My little Belikov daughter cried the most beautiful, precious and vulnerable little cry at sunrise. She was so beautiful and healthy, and she was all mine... and Dimitri's, but I considered him as a part of me, so same diff.

"She's got your face, Roza," murmured Dimitri as he held her for the first time.
"But your hair. It's going to be as straight and light as yours."
"I wouldn't bank on it," he teased. "It may be my lightness now, but it can always get darker. And I say she's got your waves. She's got some of my face shape... but mainly yours." He was safely cradling her to him while pacing around the maternity room and studying her so intently I was nearly jealous.
"She's got your natural tan," I sighed and laid back on the uncomfortable hospital bed.
He scoffed playfully. "She's got your inside-of-an-almond tan, Rose."
"Let's just agree she's beautiful and going to be a heartbreaker—"
"Just like her mother."

Her cry moments later meant it was time to see if she needed changing or feeding. It turned out she was hungry... and wouldn't be getting a decent feed from me yet. Still, it didn't stop her trying.

She went back to sleep after burping and changing. And Dimitri and I decided it was time to name her. We had paperwork to push through in both the Moroi and human worlds, so it was best to get started now. We ended up with Brigitta Lissa Belikov. And my mother was going to have a heart attack when she finally found out.

I was released two days later, and Brigitta was already developed to about two weeks. Concerns had been raised by the human doctors. All we could do was lay low for the remaining week.