Chapter 49

The sunlight peered through the thin curtains, briefly blinding me. I rubbed my eyes, refocusing my vision. The room was cold, and the air was hitting me straight on. I turned to face Laurel, only to find a vacant spot where she should be. I frowned, grunting as I sat on the bed. Then, smoke filled the air, coming from outside the room. I quickly got to the door and opened it. I set foot outside, looking around attentively. The smell of smoke, the missing Laurel. This was getting worse. As I stepped out of the hallway, I was met by a pleasant, yet unpleasant sight.

"Hey, Pietro." Laurel muttered, taking a spoonful of cereal into her mouth.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Why are you sitting on the stove? The hot stove?"

"I got chilly. The fireplace didn't work." She gave me a dorky smile, setting her sight back again on the bowl of cereal.

"You do not just sit on a stove. Especially when it is on." I walked slowly towards her, amazed on how she didn't feel discomfort with the hot surface of the stove.

"Well, I just needed to get warm."

"And you immediately thought of sitting on a hot stove? Could you not have gotten a blanket, turned on the heater, and, I do not know, sat by it?"

"I did. Didn't work." She shrugged her shoulders, thinking this was all very normal.

"I see." I crossed my arms, nodding sarcastically. "Can you sitting on the stove have anything to do with your newly gained abilities? Maybe?"

"Pffft. No."

"I am calling Wanda."

"But I'm fine."

"No you are not."

"Yes I am."

"Now I am really calling Wanda."

"No, wait!" She quickly stepped off the stove and grabbed my arm. "I want you to teach me. You, not Wanda."

"Teach you what? The precautions of using a stove?" I chuckled.

"No," she said, bumping me in the head, "I want you to teach me how to control my abilities."

"We do not even know what your abilities are!" I waved around my arms frantically.

"This is all very new and strange to me, Pietro. I didn't ask to get powers. I need to learn to control them."

"You wanna become an Avenger now?" I grinned, leaning in for a hug.

"I'm serious." She pushed me away. "Avenging is your world, and I fully support that. I just want to control my powers so that I don't hurt anyone or anything. I want to learn to keep my powers in check, and in control, everywhere we go."

"That is a pretty valid reason." I frowned.

"See? You're getting all worked up for nothing."

"I just do not want you to risk your life trying to be a hero, Laurel."

"Excuse you, I'd be an outstanding hero. I'd be freaking awesome. Mrs. Frozone coming to beat your ass." She placed her fists on her hips. "Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

"Alright, that is enough. I have heard enough." I sighed, taking a deep breath. "You want to control your powers, then we need to find out what exactly are your powers. We could conduct a series of tests to see if any of those trigger an effect on you, revealing any powers you might have."

"Where the hell did that come from, mister smarty pants?" Laurel snickered.

"Alright, fine. I guess you do not want my help."

"No, Pietro, please. I'm just kidding. You sound attractive when you speak smart."

"You do it all the time. I have learned." I said, leaning in for a kiss.

"Real smooth, Maximoff." She grinned, passing below my arm and into the dining room.

"We can start the tests here, if you want." I said, following her trail.

"I don't think I want my apartment ruined for a second time." She sat down on the dining table, handing me her unfinished bowl of cereal.

"We do not even know the full extent of your powers." I said, taking a spoonful of the cereal. "For all we know, they could be harmless."

"Stop doubting my abilities. They have feelings." She took a sip of her lemonade and set the glass on the table. "How did you manage to control your powers?"

"Well, if there is anything HYDRA is good at, it is training."

"I bet. What about Wanda? She doesn't have total control of her powers yet." She said, glancing briefly at the red decorations on the table.

"She is getting there, though. The first time she found out about her mind manipulation abilities, every HYDRA agent around her went totally insane and went into mental hospitals."

"That's tough. And horrible."

"It is. My powers are way simpler than hers. I am fast, and she is weird." I smiled. "That pretty much sums us up."

"Well, when do we start?"

"I am going to the hospital to check on Wanda and the Avengers, then I have to go to Clint's family to tell them what happened. Then-"

"You're a busy man, I get it." She frowned.  "Just, try to get it all done quickly."

"Some things are not meant to be taken quickly. Especially telling a family that a loved one has died." I stood up, trying to give off a serious vibe.

"I'm sorry." She said sympathetically, playing with her cold hands. "We just haven't had time for ourselves without some death threat out for our heads."

"I know, and I get it." I thought for a moment. "I have an idea. When I get back, how about I take you to wherever you want to go? Dinner, skating, movies."

"On a date?"

"Yes, a date." I smiled, strolling towards her and hugging her from behind

"Okay, I'd like that."

"Good, we could also go dancing or something."

"We'll think of something. We always do."

"Alright, I have to run. See you later." I leaned in and placed a kiss on her cheek, running off through the door. Then I ran back into the apartment.

"Forgot to change?" Laurel said, a wide grin plastered across her face.

"Yes." I muttered, quickly going into the bathroom.