Chapter 46

There are a hundred and two floors in the Empire State Building. A normal person would take ten minutes to reach the observation deck. I'm not a normal person. As I reached the top, and reached for the door, I was greeted by a powerful hit to the head. I was suddenly on the floor, dizzy and trying to regain my vision.

"You made it." Katrina Rochev came out of the shadows, along with two other men holding Wanda and Laurel.

"By the way, don't even try to super speed your way out of this one, Pietro. Both of these men have had their genetic code altered. They're just like you. Speedsters. Not as fast as you, but fast enough to break a neck if you get, you know, speedy." Katrina said, making her way towards me, observing every inch of me.

"You know, I always admired you. I mean, who wouldn't? You're handsome, determined, brave. You're every gal's dream. Unfortunately, you've made my job very hard. So, there's no time for admiration. Or romance." She sprinted towards Laurel and put her hand on her neck. "Here's the proposition. You either come with us, forget your past life, forget everyone and everything, and no harm will come to your precious Laurel. Or, you can leave, keep being an Avenger and live happily ever after. Without Laurel. We'll take her and transform her into the monster you never became."

I gulped, taking realization of what was happening. "What about Wanda?"

"Wanda? Oh right. If you choose to leave with us, she'll leave with us as well. If you choose to stay, she'll stay as well. So you're really stuck. The first option has Wanda living a life of murder and torture, but Laurel living happily. The second option has Wanda living freely, but Laurel will be our monster. Our assassin."

"I-I do not..."

"Come on, Pietro. Your home is on fire, and your friends are in the hospital! You don't have a lot of time! Make a damn choice."

"Pietro, do not listen to her. I will get us out of this." As soon as the last word escaped Wanda's mouth, a device was put around her head that shut down her her abilities. She fell to the floor, groaning in pain.

"Wanda!" I yelled as other men hit me on the back of my head as I tried to get up. Laurel stood silently, staring out to the night sky. All I could do was stare at her pale face, and then shifting my gaze to Wanda placing her hands on her temples, screaming the life out of herself.

"Pietro, make a choice. They'll both die if you don't and you'll be left with no one."

"I choose... I choose to leave with you."

"Pietro! No!" Laurel broke her peace and started yelling and trying to break free from the man's grip. Wanda was lifted off the ground and taken away.

"Good choice, Pietro," Katrina looked at Laurel as she was being taken away, "you won't remember her anyway." Katrina then hoisted me off the ground and groped my neck. "If you try to escape, I will kill Laurel myself, chop her up in little pieces and give those pieces to homeless people all around the city. Got it?"

I nodded in agreement and was knocked out by Katrina herself.

----------------

I woke up in a car, the backseat specifically. We drove next to Central Park, making our way past the city lights. I made out another car on the side, it was probably carrying Wanda. I looked around the car. Two men sat beside me on both sides, and another two women sat up front. They all stared at the road. I was chained with blue glowing cuffs. I opened my mouth but quickly closed it, hearing a faint voice in my head. It called out my name. I recognized her voice. Wanda's. I smiled. She was strong enough to overcome that stupid device.

"What are you smiling about?" The woman in the passenger seat frowned at me, sparking a flame from her finger.

"Oh nothing. You better keep your eyes on the road though."

"Wha-"

A red blast blinded us for a moment, before the car flipped over and crashed into the other one. I managed to break out of the cuffs and run out of the car, before it even crashed into the other one. Now I stood on the road, looking over the crash site. Red energy was still in the air, which meant Wanda was still alive. My theory was proven correct when a red blast tore through the car and out came my twin sister. I ran towards her and hugged her.

"You did it, Wanda." I whispered, kissing her forehead.

"I know, I know. Katrina has Laurel. We have to get her back."

"I thought Katrina was with you." I raised my eyebrow in confusion.

"No, I located Laurel, but not for long. She is in movement. Katrina is taking her somewhere but I do not know where."

"Then we need to locate Laurel. Can you try to do it again?" I placed my hands on her shoulders, reassuring her.

"I will try." Wanda shut her eyes and floated into the air. I saw people around staring at us in awe.

"Wanda, hurry up." I muttered, lowering my head.

Wanda then opened her eyes, revealing her bright red irises. She lowered into the ground and sprinted towards me.

"Laurel is mounting a helicopter. Katrina lied, Pietro. Laurel is not going free, they are going to turn her into what we are."

I tugged at my roots, gasping at Wanda's words. "Where is she now?"

"Downtown Manhattan Heliport."

"Then let us go there." I took Wanda off her feet, but as I prepared myself to run, a blast of fire hit us on the back, sending us flying apart from each other. I groaned as the burns on my back ate away my flesh. As I turned to face the incoming threat, I made out the woman who made a flame appear from her finger a couple of minutes ago.

"I am not that easy to kill." She said, fire raging from her hands. As she drew her hands together to blast fire at me, a fist-shaped energy blast hit her and pushed her against a building. I turned at the direction of the red blast, and saw Wanda standing with zero burns on herself.

"How are you not burnt?" I asked, trying to stand up.

"Forcefields, remember?" She smiled crookedly and helped me get up. "You on the other hand."

"No need to state the obvious." I cringed at the burns on my back. "Come on, we need to get to Laurel."

"Oh, no. You are in no condition to run. We will have to fly there."

"Fly?" I gasped as a huge red bubble covered myself and Wanda, lifting us straight into the air.

"Do not worry. I have been practicing." She smirked, making her way past the city quickly.

"Well, that makes the ride less scary." I said, a sarcastic tone present in my voice.