Chapter 10

My phone kept vibrating, but I kept ignoring it. It must have been an emergency, but nothing the Avengers couldn't handle.

"Well, I gotta get back to work. See you around, ok?" She asked, looking at my pocket. "Someone apparently needs you right now."

"It is nothing. It is probably my sister." I cleared my throat.

"Well, go, my shift ends in about two hours." She hugged me, and went back to the bakery.

Right when she left, I took out my phone and saw messages from all the Avengers. All saying: "Get to the tower, now!". I ran back to the tower, and found all the Avengers huddled up in the computer room.

"Where the hell have you been, roadrunner?" Tony smirked, but angrily.

"I have sent you a dozen messages, you had me worried sick." Wanda gulped, her eyes watering up.

"I am fine, sister. I was out." I tried to comfort her, but she pushed me away.

"Anyway, we ran a facial recognition on the man who slit his own throat at Grand Central Station, and turns out, his name was Klaus Himmel. And he was reported dead two years ago." Maria Hill said, as though she memorized it.

"That still does not get us nowhere." I frowned.

"Let me finish, Maximoff." She raised her eyebrow. "Himmel signed up for the same project you twins signed up for. He was first reported missing and then reported dead by HYDRA. But, Himmel showed up at the train station, which means, he was alive and you two weren't the only survivors of HYDRA's tests."

"That is impossible. Van Strucker said we were the only survivors." Wanda's eyes glowed red.

"Well, he lied. And if what Klaus said was right, and HYDRA wants you two back, then that means we're not safe." Maria sat back in her chair.

"Then that means there are more enhanced people out there. And since you two almost beat us a few months ago, imagine what ten of you could do." Cap scratched his head.

"So, Klaus signed up for the gig, then "died" and then he wasn't dead, and he had super strength, and now there may be dozens of enhanced sokovians out to kill us. Huh. I like those odds." Clint chuckled at his own comment.

"I suggest to put the tower in high alert and all of you, be alert as well." Cap said, before leaving the room.

I left the room too. Faster than usual. I was really startled by the idea of people like Wanda and I, being out there to take us back to HYDRA. I can't go back. I'm a good guy now. My hatred for Tony Stark has diminished. Well, a little. Why did HYDRA want us back anyway? I mean, they gave us our powers, but, they think that after all they've done to us, we'd go back to them? I don't know.

Another thought came to my mind. I need to make sure Laurel is safe. She could get dragged into this and she might not even know it.