Chapter 22

"Oh, Pietro! Keep it there!"

"It is going to kill us!" I yelled, holding the falling piece of debris, which was towering over Wanda and me. We were at level 57. There was a concrete piece of debris on top of us and hundreds of enemies waiting to kill us. Wanda kept throwing them around, but more and more appeared.

"Wanda! Get this thing off of us!"

"But the attackers will enter and kill us!"

"I am going to let go in three seconds, and I am going to take out as many enemies as possible. You are going to break this debris and throw the pieces at the enemies! Now!" I ran as fast as I could, disarming most enemies. I saw Wanda break the debris and different pieces go flying towards multiple attackers.

"~~Congratulations! You have finished level 57. Would you like to continue?~~" Tony's new AI said.

"No. We are done." Wanda said, gasping for air.

"Good job, sister."

"Same to you, Pietro."

We shook hands and went to our respective rooms. I was sweaty like crazy. We had managed to get to level 57! And we finished it! I took a shower and ran to Laurel's apartment. The door was half open. Someone broke inside.

I opened the door and found the apartment completely trashed. Damn it. They got her, I immediately think. I look around. Laurel put up a fight. I found a note on top of the TV.

"You have not agreed to come back to HYDRA. We grow impatient. Come to the docks, alone. Or your precious Laurel dies. - K.R."

I am angry. I ran as fast as I could. Hang in there, Laurel. Please. I checked every dock, from Harlem to Wall Street. I finally found them. Katrina Rochev was standing behind Laurel, who was tied up, with tape covering her mouth. Tears streaming down her face.

"Honestly, Pietro. I knew you had a thing for strong, independent women." Katrina stroked Laurel's cheek.

"Get your filthy hands off of her." I growled.

"Okay. But you need to drink this, and no harm will come to her." She threw a bottle of some unknown liquid towards me.

"What is it?" I studied the thick liquid.

"It will make you go to sleep. Drink it, or the girl dies." She grabbed Laurel by the neck.

Think, Pietro, think! I think I saw a vending machine on my way here. Run. I ran to the vending machine, replaced the liquid with coke, and ran back. All in the blink of an eye. I drank the coke and faked getting sleepy. I saw Katrina release Laurel and she ran towards me.

"Pietro! Stay with me! We need to go!" She yelled.

"Do not bother. He should be out cold in matter of seconds. Then he will be mine. And I will make his sister come to me by hurting him." She pushed Laurel out of the way and grabbed my neck. "Now, we need to leave. Goodbye, Laurel."

I then moved faster than sound itself. I put Katrina to sleep and took her to the tower and got back to the docks. I fell on the floor as the whole world turned back. The last words I heard were Laurel's. "Pietro! Wake up! Come on..."

--------

I woke up in a gurney. Cables stuck inside my arm. A bandage wrapped around my head. My sister sat next to me in a chair, reading a book.

"Wanda...?" I muttered.

She was startled at my sound. She threw the book and took my hand.

"Pietro. Do not move."

"What happened...?"

"You ran. You broke the sound barrier. You almost died because of it. All oxygen was cut from your lungs. Laurel took your cellphone and called us. It is a good thing you do not have a password on it." She smiled.

"How long was I out?"

"About two hours. It is a good thing you have a healing factor. It could have been days before you regained consciousness."

"Is Laurel safe?"

"Yes. She has agreed to stay in the tower until all of this is over. We also have the woman that kidnapped Laurel. All thanks to you."

I smiled. Then a knock came from the door. It was Laurel. She stepped in, carrying a stuffed rabbit with her.

"Hey..." She whispered, smiling at me.

"I will leave you two alone." Wanda left the room.

"What is the bunny for?" I grinned.

"It reminded me of you. How are you feeling?" She leaned beside me.

"Good. I heal fast." I smirked.

"Yeah, well I guess I'm coming to live with you now."

"It will all end soon. And I will help you clean the mess in your apartment."

She kissed my forehead, to which I groaned. I felt dizzy and my head hurt. Hell, my inside hurt.

"Sorry." Laurel said, biting her lip.

"No. I am sorry. I am sorry I dragged you into this." I took her hand.

"Don't apologize. You didn't force me to be with you. You're my friend. I chose this." She furrowed her eyebrows.

"I guess."

We both stayed silent for a moment.

"Will you stay with me?" I broke the silence.

"Always." She smiled, sitting in the chair next to me.

--------

Laurel took the rest of the week off as I recovered. It took at least 5 hours to recover completely. Now I was laying in my bed, Laurel next to me, scrolling through the channels on the TV. I glanced at her. She was sitting up, her back against the wall. I sat up and put my arm around her.

"There is nothing on TV." I said.

"You're right. You should get Netflix." She said as she leaned her head on me. She turned off the TV and looked at me.

"We need to talk. About us." She cleared her throat.

"What is there to talk about?" I moved forward.

"We can't keep dancing on the line. We can't keep doing this on and off dance." She said, getting serious.

"You know that I have feelings for you."

"I know. And, I think I have feelings for you too." She stopped looking at me. "I just don't want to get in the way of your job. Your avenging. I don't want to be that person that gets you killed, or worse."

I gulped. Why did she think this?

"Laurel, if I had to choose between being an Avenger or having you in my life, I would choose you. You." I leaned in, feeling her breath against my face.

"Pietro..." She whispered.

I pressed my lips against hers. I stroked her face as we got closer together.

"I hope this is not going too fast." I said, between breaths, crashing my lips on hers again.

"Just shut up, Maximoff."

We kissed for some time. It was one good kiss, and I'm glad it was with her. Nothing happened afterwards, though. She just lied between my arms now, her head against my chest.

"I love you." I said.

"I know you do." She placed a kiss on my nose.