Chapter 28

"Are you sure you can deliver the cake?" I asked, wiping my forehead.

"Yeah, go change for the party. I'll be there after we set the cake." She whispered.

Her coworkers and her boss didn't know I was an Avenger, and they didn't know Laurel would be actually attending the party. I kissed Laurel goodbye, and left the cooking room, I overheard Katy, Laurel's coworker, say: "you're finally dating him".

I ran back to the tower. The lobby was already full of people from World War 2 veterans to Asgardian warriors. I brushed past the crowd and used the private elevator to get to my room. It was at least half an hour until the party started. Laurel was going to get the cake here and sneak through the back, so that her coworkers don't know she's actually attending the party. I told Laurel there was a secret door through the back. The password was "shawarma".

I quickly took a shower and put on the suit. This was the fanciest suit I had, really. I ran my fingers through my hair and sprayed cologne on. As I left the room, Wanda left hers as well. She was wearing a long, black dress, with her hair pushed to the side.

"You look wonderful." I smiled.

"Same to you, brother. Laurel has good taste." She smiled too.

"Shall we?" I asked. She grabbed my arm and we headed to the elevator.

"You missed the tree. Thor almost burned it down." Wanda chuckled.

"I was helping Laurel with the cake. I am sorry." I completely forgot they were gonna put the tree up today.

We strolled into the elevator, meeting with Cap and Natasha. Natasha was wearing a black and white dress, and Cap was wearing a grey tux with a light blue dress shirt.

"You two look stunning." Natasha smiled.

"Thank you, Natasha." Me and Wanda said at the same time.

"I hope we can survive this party." Cap said. For the first time ever, I think he's actually nervous.

The elevator door opened on the party floor. The room was still empty, since the people still hadn't been allowed to go up.

"Okay, Avengers! Tonight, we take on the greatest mission of all! The Christmas party! The objective: make sure everyone has fun! Especially yourselves! Let the party commence!" Tony shouted signaling someone to start letting people up.

The room started to get crowded. Me and Wanda greeted people so many times, my mouth was tired of saying "welcome to the party! Have a good time!".

Wanda went to find Vision, leaving me alone to greet the incoming visitors. I already saw Natasha serving at the bar, Thor chatting with his Asgardian friends, and Cap drinking with those veterans.

I stood there, waiting for Laurel to come through those elevator doors. I went to the bar. I needed a drink.

"What is the best beer you have?" I groaned.

"Well, sir, I'd recommend this one." Natasha placed a beer bottle in front of me.

I took a sip of it and sighed.

"It is good." I said.

"I told you so." Natasha said, before attending to other people.

I sat there, drinking and drinking, until someone wrapped their arms around my waist.

"Sorry I'm late." Laurel whispered.

I turned around to face an immensely gorgeous Laurel, who was wearing her short, long sleeved dress, with her hair up in a side bun.