Chapter 39

The silence that followed was unbearable. Neither of us knew what to say after those words escaped our mouths.

'Don't stop saving people, Pietro. For me'

'Alright. For you.'

We just stared blankly at the white landscape that was the house's garden. Everything was so still and lifeless, it pained me. It pained me to see something so motionless and still. I scrounged my nose in discomfort as Laurel's head shifted deeper into my chest.

I finally had to courage to speak.

"Are you ever going to get up?"

She snickered under her breath, finally changing the air around us.

"I've said it before. You're comfortable." Her voice sounded as peaceful as ever.

The motionless landscape returned. Silence fell upon our bodies once more. The moment got awkward and more awkward.

"Let's take a drive."

Her head raised, her gaze meeting my own. A confused expression ran across her face.

"A drive?"

"You know, a drive through the country." I fashioned a grin, making her blush sheepishly. "Explore around."

She nodded her head in agreement. "Alright, Maximoff. A drive it is." Her figure stood up and lent a hand to hoist me up. This was a custom now. Laurel hoisting me up.

"Where do we drive to?" She asked, grabbing my arm and leaning her head against my shoulder as we strolled towards the garage.

"Wherever the wind takes us."

"That's really cheesy." She chuckled and tugged a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I was hoping for it not to be." I opened the garage door, revealing a showcase of luxurious cars. My gaze studied every car in the room, searching for the perfect one.

"What do you suggest, Williams?" I leaned against the doorway, shifting my eyes to Laurel.

"Let's take a convertible. I want to feel the wind in my face."

"The cold wind? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, no, we'll put the top on." She hurried towards the small car and proceeded to place her hand on the door handle. I immediately ran beside her and opened the car door for her.

"Such a gentleman," she said, getting in, "but I can handle it myself." She closed the door, leaving me standing there like a fool. I smiled at her and ran towards the driver's side.

I slid on the keys and turned on the engine. The loud roar surprised us both, sending shivers down our spines. I took the car out of the garage and started the long journey.

Woods, trees, trees, and woods. That was all that was seen the first minutes. We drove through mountains and plains. We drove past herds of animals you didn't see in New York City. We drove past huge cliffs that dropped maybe dozens of feet.

"I bet you're used to these landscape." Laurel finally spoke.

"This is what Sokovia looked liked, basically."

"What was it like growing over there?"

I raised my eyebrow in surprise.

"Well, um, we barely had cable, no electronics whatsoever. All we had was the television. A small one. Small apartment. Small school. Small everything."

"Well, I was the complete opposite. Everything for me was big. Big house, big room, big that, big this." Her tone was that of an annoyed one. "My father thought money made everything better."

"Does it not?"

Her head turned to face me. She had a serious expression plastered on her face.

"No. No it doesn't. Money is stupid. Money is a goddamn piece of paper that controls this planet. It may be useful, but you don't need it to make people happy." She rested her head on the window. "All you need is other people to make you happy."

I focused on the street up front once again. She was right. As always.

"How did your dad treat you? Before your mom died."

She looked out the window for a few seconds more, before answering my question with a serious tone.

"He was my dad. He was a great dad. Loved me, played with me." Her voice broke. "He never opened up with me, though. Always had work."

I cleared my throat. I thought for a moment and proceeded.

"If you and him do not make up by the end of the year, I am going to break up with you." I grinned. I was joking, of course.

"Doubt that'll happen. Both things."

"Laurel, you are being as stubborn as he was. He wants to open up with you now, I saw it in his eyes when we went to his office. You are the one who keeps shoving him away."

"Oh my god, you're taking his side?" She scoffed.

"This is not about taking sides, this is about mending a father/daughter relationship!"

"Yeah, well, he should've opened up when I needed him to!"

"Laurel, listen to yourself! You want him to open up, but you are not even letting him!"

"He had his chance! He didn't take it!"

"People deserve second chances, Laurel! Do you think I would be here if it was not for second chances?!"

She stayed silent. She knew what I meant with that last sentence. She just didn't think I would go there.

"I don't need you lecturing me on how I need to repair my relationship with my father." She crossed her arms and refused to look at me.

"I am just trying to help."

"I don't need your help!"

"Well, apparently you do, since you hadn't talked to your dad in years until I came along!"

"Okay, you know what, that is enough! Drive back."

"Are you serious, right now, Laurel?" I stopped the car. The sky was already dark. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't scary.

"I said drive back."

I bit my lip and turned the car around. I think this was our first argument.

"Laurel, please, listen to me." I slowly began.

"No, Pietro! I don't need anyone to tell me how to handle my goddamn relationship with my dad!" She waved her hands furiously. "Especially from someone who lost theirs."

Oh no she fucking didn't.

"What did you say?"

She stared at me, obvious regret in her eyes.

"Pietro, I-"

"You want to bring up my dead parents now, Laurel? Is that how this is going to be?!"

"Well, maybe I wouldn't had done it if you had shut up!"

"That is fucking it." I muttered under my breath.

"Oh, stop, I don't want to talk anymore."

"Oh, so, you bring up my dead parents and then you don't want to talk anymore? That is fucking ridi-"

"Pietro! Watch out wi-"

I swung the car around, sending us and the car down a ravine.