Chapter 44

"Pietro, I'm tired. Do we really have to go to Times Square?"

"Yes, it will be fun!" I said, moving through the crowded sidewalks, getting screamed at by angry New Yorkers.

"I bet." She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

We had managed to get to Times Square in about twenty five minutes. The whole area was starting to get crowded. It was cold, but warm by all the people arriving. Fortunately, Laurel and I had gotten a good spot. It was near a stage, probably used for some show or something.

"I am going to get something to eat, alright?" I asked.

"Wait!" She yelled as I left our spot.

"What?"

"Can you buy chocolate. No, no. Chocolate covered strawberries!" Her eyes widened.

"Where am I supposed to buy those?"

"You have super speed-" She quickly brought her hands to her mouth, realizing what she had just said.

"Yes, got it." I smiled, leaving her behind and squeezing myself through the huge crowds. I got pushed, yelled at, and nudged. But, who cares? If I can take bullets, I'm sure I can take punches. Right?

I looked around, trying to find some carts selling food. I saw a pretzel cart. Nah. A hotdog stand. No. A hamburger stand. Those always unsettle my stomach. A popcorn/cotton candy cart. There we go. I walked towards the cart, which had a long line of parents with children. I felt really awkward with all those kids staring at me, but I really wanted cotton candy. The line was slow. And when I saw slow, I mean slow. It was mostly because the kids were trying to make a decision between popcorn and cotton candy. Most of them chose both, and the look on their parents' faces amused me. After about twelve minutes of waiting in line, I got up to the cart, order already in my head.

"Hello, um, I would like a large, pink cotton candy, please."

"Sure, pal." He swooped up a stick from the cart and started moving it around in the machine. "So, where you from?"

"Sokovia. The dropped town from Europe."

"Oh, sorry, man." He gave me an apologetic expression, before turning to the cotton candy he was making.

"Is it always this crowded on this day?" I asked, rocking my body forward and backward.

"Boy, you have no idea." He chuckled, turning off the machine. "Here you go, sir."

"Thank you." I smiled, taking the candy. "How much?"

"Don't worry. It's on me." He smiled appreciatively, signaling the next person in line to come forward. I walked away, mouthing 'thank you' and taking out my phone to call Laurel.

She did not answer, so I called again. This time she did. I got worried for a moment.

--------------

"Yes, Pietro?"

"Everything good?"

"Yeah, everything is great. This woman is showing me pictures of her baby."

"That is wonderful. I am going to get your chocolate covered strawberries now, alright?"

"Perfect. Oh! Can you also get me some lemonade? Please? I'm thirsty."

"Alright. You are having a lot of cravings. Care to explain?"

"Just get the strawberries and the juice."

"Alright, alright."

------------

I laughed, hanging up the phone. I looked around once again to see if I saw any strawberry stand by any chance. My efforts resorted to no avail. There were no strawberry stands in sight. Now where was I going to get the damn strawberries? I thought for a moment. I need chocolate and strawberries. There has to be a place near here that sells that! And then I saw it. A single fruit stand in a crowd of junk food stands. My eyes widened in joy. I slowly strolled down towards the stand, my brain screaming: "YASSSS!". I got in line, which was not as long as the other one, and patiently waited for my turn. When I finally got there, I remained speechless for a moment, before the woman snapped her fingers at me.