Chapter 17

I stood outside the scarlet painted bakery. I scratched my head and sighed a couple of times. I was stalling. I should not be stalling. I walked in, and the sweet smell of bread made me hungry. I saw Laurel at the cashier, smiling at people and being the nicest girl in the city. She hadn't seen me yet. I wanted to have the element of surprise. I got in line and I waited. There was only one woman in front of me until it was my turn. I looked towards everywhere except forward. Then it was my turn. I heard Laurel say "next!" before frowning at my smile. She sighed, and continued.

"What will it be, sir?" She forced a smile.

"Whatever you think is the best thing here." I said, looking directly into her eyes.

"You should try our carrot cake. It's to die for."

Then I will have that, please." I smiled.

She put in the order and asked one of her coworkers to cover for her. She took of her apron and headed towards me.

"What do you want, Maximoff?" She said, crossing her arms.

"I am sorry. For kissing you." I blushed. I did not like this.

She stayed silent, not taking her eyes off of mine. She nodded.

"Apology accepted. We weren't thinking straight." She looked down.

"I was." Damn it. Why did I say that.

She shuddered. Surprised at my words.

"Pietro."

"Yes, I am sorry. Again." I said, blinking.

She kissed me on the cheek and said.

"The kiss was nice, though." And she went back to work, smiling back at me.

The moment was ruined when a woman yelled my name. My order was ready. And Laurel was right, the carrot cake was to die for. I walked out and walked towards the tower. I was smiling like a dork. Things were good with Laurel, and if I wanted to have a relationship with her, I'd have to take it slow.

As I kept walking, I felt as though I was being followed. I looked back and everything was normal. Still, there was a weird woman who wore dark shades and looked very suspicious. I walked in squares through the city and she was still there. I stopped walking, and as the people kept walking beside me, I was looking straight at the woman with the shades. She stopped walking too, and was looking straight at me as well. She smirked and signaled me to follow her. I followed her into an alley, where no one would hear us.

"Hello, Pietro." This woman talked in an accent very similar to Wanda and mine's.

"Who are you?" I asked, clenching my fists.

"My name is Katrina Rochev." I am part of the Russian division of HYDRA."

I was angry.

"Stay away from me. And my sister." My dorky smile went away, and turned into a frown full of rage. I turned around and started walking away. But suddenly, I couldn't move.

"You think you and your sister were the only survivors? The only ones who were gifted special abilities?" She came to face me, her eyes now completely white. "Think, again."

"Let. Me. Go." I could barely speak.

"You will come back to HYDRA, Maximoff. Or everyone you love will die." She released me, and as I looked around, she was gone. I ran around the nearby blocks but she was nowhere to be found. "Or everyone you love will die." Those words stayed in my mind all the way back to the tower. I spoke to Wanda about it. She told me that we should tell the others. I told her that it could endanger everyone we know.

Laurel is in trouble. She has to know. I don't want her to get hurt, let alone get killed. I texted her.

--------------
P- Want to go see a movie?
L- Which? And don't say Minions. I hate those things.
P- We can see Jurassic World.
L- Have you seen the originals?
P- I saw the second one.
L- Ok. Add the original Jurassic Park movie to your ever growing list of movies you haven't watched.
P- So, is that a yes?
L- Sure. Meet me at the movies.
P- I could pick you up?
L- As much as I'd love to ride in your Sonata again, I think I'll walk.
P- Are you sure? It is not safe.
L- I can handle myself, Pietro.
P- I will walk with you?
L- Pietro!
P- All right, all right. See you there.
-------------

If I said I was not worried about Laurel walking alone, I would be lying.