Chapter 38

"The tension was now gone and we were just two beings, clung onto each other, as if to never let go. Laurel had wrapped her legs around mine, she had buried her face in my chest, and I had rested my chin on her head. We were still awake, waiting for the sleepiness to kick in. It eventually did, but not before I told her one last thing.

"I'm quitting the Avengers."

And that was it. She didn't respond. I just fell asleep before I could hear a faint sound from her."

----------------------

Dawn came, the light shining through the linen curtains covering the window of the dark room. The air was thin and cold. You could hear the chirps of woodland birds outside. Through the curtain, snow fell softly on the ground, covering the street and pavement with a blanket of whiteness. The world was at peace, as if just for us.

Laurel's head rested on my chest, her hair spread across the soft silk bedsheets. I felt her bare body pressed against mine, her perfect soft skin keeping us warm. I looked around the bedroom, staring at the bathroom door left opened from yesterday. I smirked comfortably, remembering all that happened last night. We had made love to each other. Complete and raw love. It was utterly amazing.

I shifted my gaze to Laurel's hair, stroking it with my hand. Her eyes moved, slightly opening those eyelids that covered her beautiful sea green eyes. I couldn't help but stare at those eyes, which were drawn at my own.

She moved her body away from mine, covering her bareness with the sheets. She sat up next to me, stroking my face.

"Hey." She whispered, breaking the thin air surrounding us.

"Hi."

She smiled her magnificent smile and laid on top of me. Her body was pressed against mine once more, her lips touching my own. I pushed her honey colored hair back, revealing red marks I had left on her neck down to her collarbone. I had them too. Everywhere from my abdomen to neck. Laurel made sure of that.

"How about we take a shower, head down to eat breakfast, and then spend the day doing whatever you want to do." She muttered, tracing circles around my chest.

"Alright."

She slowly stood up from the bed, complete bare and signaled me to follow her into the bathroom. I obeyed and we showered together. Just like last night.

We got dressed up for the day and headed downstairs to make breakfast. I had dressed in the usual hoodie/jean combination, and Laurel had worn a long sleeved sweater with leggings.

Laurel cooked some boiled eggs with bacon, while I brewed some coffee.

"Laurel, did you hear what I said last night when we were laying on the bed?"

"Depends. Was it after we...?"

"Yes." My cheeks blushed a shade of light shade of red.

"Something about the Avengers, right?" She muttered, chopping up some spices to sprinkle them onto the eggs.

"Yes." I cleared my throat, "I'm quitting the Avengers."

Her hand stopped cutting. The thin air from before came back. I stared at her as she tucked a strand of hair behind her hair.

"Have you told Wanda?"

"No. Not yet."

She sighed and laid the knife on the counter. She moved towards the boiled eggs and sprinkled the spices.

"I want to be with you." I moved towards her, hugging her from behind.

"Pietro. You have responsibilities." She got free and headed to the dining table to set the plates.

I followed her trail, carrying the cups of coffee.

"I know I do. But you are more important."

She shook her head as we sat down to eat our breakfast. Was she not on board with me? Did she want me to keep being an Avenger?

"Pietro, you have to think about this. You love being an Avenger."

"But I love you more." I placed my hand on hers and gave her an appreciative smile.

She gave me an assuring nod, beginning to eat her food.

I nodded and began as well. Tomorrow, when we get back to the city, I'll tell Tony that I'm leaving. I hope everyone takes it well, especially Wanda.

Even though she had said agreed to my decision, I felt her discomfort throughout the meal. If she wasn't okay with my decision, then why wouldn't she say so? It would beat lying to me in order to make me happy.

"Laurel?" I spoke, wiping some grease off of my lips.

"Yeah?"

"I will stay an Avenger if you want me to."

She stared at me, her eyes now turned a forest green. Her eye color changed a lot. From sea green, to ice blue, to forest green. It's like some sort of mutation.

"Pietro, you've committed yourself to that team. Before you met me, you devoted your actions to helping and saving people. You've done so much good, and I don't want to be the reason for you to stop doing that."

My face went blank. If she had just come up with that right now, I'd be impressed.

"Do you understand?" She now gave me a genuine smile, her eyes going back to their usual color.

"Yes, but I'll still think about it." I smiled back at her and kept eating my food.

After the delicious meal, we went to the house garden, now covered in ice and snow. There was a frozen fountain, leafless trees, and flowers that weren't in bloom. We walked around the immense land, until we saw a homemade swing. It was tied to a huge tree that looked as old as time. We sat down on the wooden swing and began moving forwards and backwards. We laughed at the funny squeaking sound the swing made every time it moved. She laid her head on my shoulder, clutching onto my arm as if to never let go.

"Don't stop saving people, Pietro." She raised her head. "For me."

I kissed her head and looked forward at the frozen fountain glimmering in the sunshine.

"Alright. For you."