Chapter 42

"Mister Maximoff! You're alive!" A person at front desk in the lobby said.

"Um, yes?"

"Go on! The Avengers have been looking for you!" He opened the elevator and let me in. He smiled as the elevator doors closed.

Mister Maximoff? What the hell is going on?

Forget it. Focus on the mission.

As the elevator ascended, I could not take the image of that girl out of my mind. Her messy hair, forest green eyes. I knew her, I swear I knew her.

Mission. The mission.

I couldn't be seen by anyone. That was easy for me. I just needed to find out where Wanda Maximoff was and I was out of here. So I did what I did best. Run.

I searched the entire tower, floor by floor. I searched in every room, every crook and cranny. All was well, my head was on the mission. That is, until I reached the infirmary.

I saw her. Sleeping there, at peace. Her face was all bruised up, but it was her. I paced towards her, making not even a slight sound. The air was thin and anything could wake her. Right now, all I was focused on was her. I placed my cold hand on her forehead, covering my mouth with my other hand. I knew her, but at the same time, I didn't. I ran my fingers through her messy hair, untangling the knots. I had felt this hair before. I had seen those lips before. I just needed to see her eyes. If only she'd wake up. As though she had read my mind, her eyelids started moving. I panicked and stepped back into the shadows.

She slowly looked around, lifting her head. She ultimately spotted me and began staring in my direction.

"Who's there?" Her voice seemed soft and familiar.

It was her. The girl I had seen. Her eyes were the forest green eyes I had seen. Her voice was the soft but firm voice I had heard. Now, all I needed was her name.

"Come out. Now." Her tone turned firm, directed at me.

I slowly stepped forward, letting the light shine on my face. Her eyes widened, watering up. She covered her mouth, a tear streaming down her cheek. I continued to step towards her, slowly.

"Pietro..." She whispered. She knew my name. She knew me.

"Who are you?" I spoke, clearing my throat.

"What are you talking about? Pietro, you're here..." She slowly unwrapped herself from the blankets, setting her feet on the cold floor. She initially stood firm, but her legs gave in and she went tumbling down. I managed to catch her before she hit the ground.

"You're alive..." She placed her hands on my cheeks, pressing her forehead against mine.

"I do not know you." I muttered, catching her off guard. She knew me, she knew my name. But I didn't know hers.

"It's Laurel." Her soft fingers ran through my hair.

Laurel. Oh god, try to remember, Pietro. Just try.

"Laurel?" I questioned, setting her gently on the bed. I stepped back, running my hands through my hair. I tugged at my roots as I tried to remember. Just remember.

"Yes, Laurel Williams. Your girl. Remember? We met at a coffee shop. We went ice skating, we ate hotdogs, we ate sushi. We saw Jurassic World." She paused. She quickly took out a locket. "You gave me this." She put it forward.

I took it from her hand. I opened it and I read it.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

Those words. It all came to mind when I saw the photo. It was of me and her. We were sharing a kiss. She walked towards me and placed her hands on my face.