Sleep in the Crib

Here comes one of the worst challenges of my life, putting my daughter into her crib.

I brought her to the mid grey-blue color nursery. I sat in the rocking chair, feeding her a bottle and talked to her. "You're so precious baby girl. You're the most important thing I've ever known and held, and so beautiful. You're just wrapped around my finger. I'm going to have to make sure that no boys come through your window. They'll all be drooling over you like they're looking at a pizza. I'm always going to be here and make sure that they won't break your heart. Because you're my baby girl and no one is going to hurt you." I rambled.

She hummed against the nip of the bottle, taking my finger and thumb with her hands. I giggled at her cuteness. "Yes, I know you want me to cuddle you, but you have to sleep in your crib tonight. You can't always sleep on me, sweetie. I will sing to you, but you will sleep by yourself." I lightly scolded her.

She started to fuss and cry. I released the bottle from her mouth. "Shh, shh, you're okay." I stood up and slightly bounced her while patting her back. Then it hit, "UGH! Damn, Melody, I'm going to need a gas mask one of these days." I put her on the changing table and held in my breath. I took off the nasty diaper and put a new one on her. I plugged my nose as I grabbed the old diaper. "This one is going outside it's so bad." I said and she gurgled a giggle. "You like making me suffer, don't you?" I groaned and she continued to giggle. I shook my head and brought the diaper to the garbage outside.

I went back to Melody's room. She whimpered and her hands were in the air, looking for me to pick her up. "Oh Melody, can't you be left alone for one minute without a fit." I said and picked her up. She made a happy sound kind if like a 'wee'. "See Daddy's back baby girl." I happily said and rubbed her nose with mine. Melody liked it when I did that, but not any of her uncles. "I love you sweet and beautiful Melody." I sweetly smiled at her with her smiling a toothless smile back. "Such a little cutie. I can't wait until I can put you in black skinny jeans and punk rock shirts and leather jackets, but until then you're stuck with the stupid pink and purple girly clothing. I hate it too, don't worry." I say while swaying around the nursery.

Her eyes fought to close. "I think someone is sleepy." I chuckled. "Here, let me sing to you Melody." I cleared my throat and sang while silently bouncing her. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey! You never know dear how much you, so please don't take my sunshine away." Her hazel eyes stayed open. "Why can't you fall asleep with a small song? I don't understand! You have to have a full song sang to you." She just continued to look up at me.

"You know what, let's read a book." I said and went to the small bookshelf. I grabbed Green Eggs and Ham it's just a classic. I sighed amd sat down back in the rocking chair. I rocked back and forth as I read the toddler book. I was about to fall asleep myself, but no my little girl had to stay awake. "Melody, please go to sleep. Daddy's tired and people are coming over tomorrow. Please just sleep." I begged to the baby as I finished the book. "Let's make a deal, you sleep a full night sleep and tomorrow you won't leave my arms." She just threw her fist. "Ugh, why do you have to know that's a lie!" She spit up a little while giggling.

"You're such an awake baby at night, why?" She babbled at me. "Okay, tell me a story." I said, letting her to babble herself to sleep, hopefully. After about ten minutes it finally happened. I slowly got up and crept to her crib, softly laying her down on her back. I turned on the music thingy, you know it usually has animals or something like that to it that moves, attached to her crib and walked quietly out of the nursery, heading to my own room.

I went under the covers and turned the baby monitor on low. I too got myself into a sleep. My dream just seemed so real though. I heard my dead wife sing softly with Melody cooing.

"But they haven't seen the best of us yet. If you love me let me go.If you love me let me go. 'Cause these words are knives and often leave scars. The fear of falling apart. And truth be told, I never was yours. The fear, the fear of falling apart. This is gospel for the vagabonds, Ne'er-do-wells and insufferable bastards. Confessing their apostasies. Led away by imperfect impostors. Oh, this is the beat of my heart, this is the beat of my heart [2x]. Don't try to sleep through the end of the world. And bury me alive. 'Cause I won't give up without a fight." She stopped singing.

"Good night Melody sweet dreams. Mummy loves you." She softly whispered. Then footsteps came from the hallway and Haylie entered the room wearing my IDIOT flannel and a pair of basketball shorts. "She's fine, Michael. Our baby girl fell right back to sleep." She stated before climbing into the bed with me. I didn't take any time to cuddle her protectively, not letting go of her. "Good night kitten. I love you." I smiled in a whisper. "Good night buddy. I love you too, Mikey" She replied and kissed me. She softly rubbed my knuckles, easing me to sleep. I kissed the side of her head before falling into sleep once again.