Chapter 28

Location: Soul national cemetery
Perspective: (y/n)

"Do you remember when we fist met?"
Yeji looks up at me.
"Yeah, but what does that have to do with-"
"Just listen."
I feel uncomfortable, not sure on how to deliver this.
"I had to leave quickly because I got a call, right?"
Yeji nods, realizing where this is going.
"Well, there was a situation. I can't tell you where, but we were ordered to immediately go there."
She stays silent, seemingly hanging on every word I say.

Perspective: Yeji

"The headquarters got a hint that a container ship was used my smugglers to smuggle drugs. A lot of them. We were send to board that ship and secure the drugs."
I feel my cheeks heat up as I think back. I was so mad at (y/n) for not texting me back. If I would've known what he did at the time...
"When we arrived, we expected them to fight us, obviously. But no one was on board."
I furrow my eyebrows. That's weird.
"It took us a long time to search the whole ship, but we didn't find anyone. After that, we decided to search for the drugs. Maybe the smugglers changed to another ship or something."
(Y/n) looks around, before he keeps talking. I realize that this is something he shouldn't be telling me. That this is some high level classification stuff.
"After opening a couple of containers, we found barrels, full of explosives."
My eyes become wide. What did he just say? I bite my lip, not wanting to interrupt him.
"There was a timer on them, so we had to defuse it, before it would blow up the whole ship. We eventually did it, but they were very nerve wrecking 30 minutes."
I can't believe that (y/n) actually told me something this serious. If they hadn't found the ship, what could've happened?  It could've driven into a harbour. How many people could've died? I don't even want to think about that. (Y/n) probably saved more than one life that day.
"Now, I know this might not be the story you were hoping for, but I just want to bring this point across. My job is dangerous. But I put my life on the line, hoping that more lives can be saved."
"I-I get that. I know this sounds selfish, but I'm always so worried when you leave. I'm always afraid that it's the last time I'm able to see you. The last time I hear you speak."
"I feel the same, Yeji. I don't want to leave you. I don't want to worry you. That's why I didn't want to tell you what I'm doing. Because I'm scared you would be even more afraid."
I shake my head.
"Thank you for telling me this. It means a lot. It feels like I can trust you more now. Maybe...Maybe you can tell me more once you are back?"
I see him sigh, looking around, before looking back at me.
"This isn't that easy for me, Yeji. I told you this story specifically, because it doesn't have a bad outcome and because no one gets injured."
I catch the fact that (y/n) doesn't want to say "a story where someone dies".
" I-I will do my best to tell you what I can over time. But you must know that this is classified. I will never tell you any specific location, or who was there. And don't tell anyone what I tell you. Not even the girls. You get that?"
I nod, knowing that this is serious.
"Now, I'm sure you are aware that I have only limited control about my ability to come back every time."
I feel something heavy in my chest. He is speaking of the thing I'm most worried about.
"But I promise to always do my best to come back to you. It might take a week or two. Maybe even a month. But in these cases, no news are good news."
I swallow hard, knowing that this is something neither of us can control. Why does he have to have this kind of job?
I sigh, wrapping my arms around (y/n).
"Thank you for telling me all of this. Now, I don't want to let you go."
I rest my head on chest, slightly pressing against it. Hearing him chuckle, I can actually feel it coming out of his chest.
"I'm afraid you have to though. I promise to be back in no time."
I look up at him, pouting.
"You just said, you can't promise that."
When I see his fake smile and sad eyes, I realize that I'm being selfish. How could I worry about him, not coming back, without even considering how he feels?
A shiver runs down my spine.
I could never do what he does. Leaving, knowing that it could be the last time I see the person I love.

Location: Negev desert
Perspective: (y/n)

I climb one of the dunes surrounding the small oasis. While the rescued hostages take a longer break, the five of us make sure that we don't get attacked.
"All clear?"
I finally reach the spot where Wolf is standing.
"All clear."
He puts down his spyglass, looking at me.
"How are you doing? The first time officially being the leader."
I shrug my shoulders.
"Just feels natural, you know."
I grin at him and Wolf rolls his eyes.
"Yeah, sure."
He gets back to scouting the area, while I take a sip of my bottle, which I filled up earlier. Together with Wolf's.
"Here."
I offer him his bottle back, but he doesn't respond.
"What is it?"
He doesn't answer, but I can see at the sides of his eyes, that he concerned.
"Over there."
He finally speaks, pointing ahead, slightly to the right. The direction where we came from.
"A sand cloud had built up. Maybe a one hour drive away."
I try to see something, but it's too far away.
"Do you thinks it's natural?"
"Not sure yet."
"If we're being followed, there is no place to run. This might be the perfect spot to defend ourselves."
"But, if they are actually following us, they will definitely search here. Maybe we should walk a couple of minutes, make sure the hostages are safe and come back."
"I agree."
I nod, before looking back at the small oasis behind me. I wonder how many of the people down there might die today.
"We should attack them, if we get the chance. They will be surprised."
Wolf nods, still staring at the spot in the distance.
"You guys go ahead. I will contact you, when I can tell if that's natural or if that's people."
"Copy that."