Chapter 1

Location: airfield
Perspective: 3rd person

Except for two men in the tower, the airfield is vacant. The rain pours onto the asphalt, breaking the silence. A man in a uniform leaves the building next to the landing strip and opens his umbrella. The lights of the capital are in the far distance. Only small dots on a black painting. His uniform indicates, that the soldier is a high ranking officer. Taking out his phone, he presses the call button.
"Any contact yet?"
"Negative."
"Inform me immediately."
"Yes, sir."
Hanging up the man checks his watch. The men he is waiting for, already have another mission to attend. He didn't get the go yet, but he is certain he will get a call within this week. Hopefully the team will have enough time to see their families. Even if it's just for a moment.

His watch is showing that another hour had passed. Puddles of rain water are all over the airfield. The grass on the side of the asphalt is turned into a swamp. The man gets a call.
"Here is Brigadier General Tak "
"Its official now. Send your boys in today."
"They aren't back yet."
"The plane leaves at midnight. Make sure they are on it."
"Yes, sir."
Looking towards the flashing lights of the city, the officer sighs. Somewhere in the sea of lights, is the light of his little daughter's room. Yesterday was her first day in high school. He missed that day. He also missed a day two weeks ago. His wife's birthday. While his daughter was angry at him that he wasn't there, his wife is glad that he still comes home. She knows what's going on in this world. Although her husband doesn't come home every night, she knows that he is safe for now. It would take a lot to make a high ranking officer like him stand in the front line.
He feels sympathy towards the men he is waiting for. For two weeks they were busy at the border of India and Pakistan, making sure the peace is kept by a neutral third party. Now they have time until midnight, before they get send away once more.
Tak looks at his watch. 10:16. They are two hours late. With other people, he would be concerned about their late arrival, but these guys are pros. If they aren't here yet it just means they got hold up and are doing their job right now.

At first he doesn't hear it. The sounds of Seoul's streets are so loud that even out here you can hear them. But twenty years in the Korean military has made the Brigade General sensitive to any possible threats. It's a steady sound. The sound of an engine. The sound of a chopper.
One single light dot seems to be getting bigger and bigger. A big smile appears on Tak's lips. His boys are back.
As expected his phone rings a second later.
"Sir? Helicopter D67 is approaching. They have been given permission to land."
Without answering, the man with the umbrella ends the call.

Perspective: (y/n)

"Come on."
I tap my foot nervously.
My phone says it's 11:24.
"Please."
The phone keeps ringing but she isn't picking up. Maybe she is already asleep?
I wait a bit longer before I hang up and call her again.
"Come on, Yeji."
"The owner of the phone is currently unavailable...."
Ending the call, I sigh. Yeji isn't answering her phone, probably already sleeping. Usually I wouldn't want to wake her up, but I know she is going to kill me if I don't even try.
After a second of thinking I go to Yuna's number, before calling her.
"Come on."
Only the annoying tone of the phone beeping. No answer.
I groan before calling Yeji once more. She still doesn't pick up. I decide to leave her a message on her answering machine.
"Shadow! You coming? Last check before the take off."
I nod, while I leave Yeji a message. Once I hang up I follow Panther who joins the others.
"Listen, boys."
Brigade General Tak starts talking, while the five of us go through our usual routine before leaving.
"I know you are good. I know you all have been in dangerous situations. Each one of you has faced death more often than you can count. Maybe you have already heard, but people call you the demon squad"
Tiger winks at me.
"Rightfully so."
Tak doesn't hear his whispered words.
"This mission is different from what you are usually doing. Tonight, you will board a plane to the Ukraine."
The five of us exchange glances.
As he said, we did a lot of missions. But being part of an actual war? Not really. We only went to Afghanistan for short missions.
"How long?"
Panther reassembles the gun he just cleaned.
"There is no date for your return planned, yet."
Wolf looks at him in shock.
"We are going to be there until it's over?"
I can't help but crack a smile at Wolf's naive question. If they say there is no return date set, it means they don't expect us to come back alive.
"As I just said,"
Tak glares at Wolf for talking without permission.
"your return hasn't been planned yet. I hope you all got to call or text your loved ones. Because you probably won't see them for a while."
My heart aches as I think about Yeji. I wish she would've answered the phone. I wanted to hear her voice before I would have to leave again. We didn't hear from each other for two weeks. And now I'm leaving without knowing when or if I will be back.