Pirate chapter 38

We made it to Paris that evening. It was late. The captain was assisting in docking. I didn't know if he was going to come to bed or not, but I wasn't going to bother him. He seemed grumpy and I was just going to wait for Shane to go into town and come back with a cake of some kind so I could surprise him.

I hear a knock at the door after some time and I get up to open it seeing Shane there holding a box.

"You got it?" I asked in a whisper.

"Do you know how hard it is to sneak passed the captain? You owe me." Shane laughed low and handed me the small box.

I smiled, "I know I do. Thank you." I tell him he nods and makes his way back down the hall. I close the door and I open the box to find a small chocolate cake inside. I placed it on the side table by the bed then turned to make the bed sheets look all nice. It was dark so I turned up the brightness of the oil lamp. I glanced at the bathing basin and decided to go into the captains office to make a bath all nice. Maybe he'd be happy. I made the water warm like I've seen him do so many times, and lit the other small oil lamp on his desk.

I sighed waiting for Shawn and laid down on the bed. It wasn't long before the weight behind my eyes took over and I slowly drifted off.

"Princess."

I hear a whisper and I shivered waking up and bringing my hands to my face to rub the sleep from them. I focus my vision and sit up right. The sun was beaming through the window and and I turn to look at the captain. I then frowned seeing him hold the box the cake is in. I pout and look into his eyes.

"I fell asleep.. I meant to surprise you." I mumbled and looked down sadly.

Shawn chuckled and sat down next to me. "Sweetheart. I was surprised. I came in after we docked but I found you sleeping. I didn't want to wake you because you're still healing. You need the rest." He replied and wrapped an arm around me.

"You wouldn't tell me when your birthday was.. I was just trying to.." I mumble again and bring my hands to my lap fiddling with my fingers. I did still get shy around him. Especially when his focus was entirely on me.

"My birthday is November 1st." He sighs. So I was a few months late. From the calendar I see it's February. It passed and I had no idea. "I don't celebrate it because every year it was just another day is all. I never really.. I am not someone to be celebrated. You of all people know this."

I frowned, "will you stop." I huffed and pulled away from him to stand. He looks up at me shocked and a small fury building behind his eyes as he stands up setting the small cake box on the bed.

"You need to stop saying horrible things about yourself. I love you." I stated sadly. "It hurts my heart that you have so little respect for yourself."

"You think I don't fucking respect myself?" He growled low his eyes were darkening. He was moments away from getting angry but I was tired of it. He constantly spoke ill of himself and what was I supposed to think?

"I tried to do something special. Maybe others have too. But your shit attitude is just.." I whimpered out. My cheeks burning. I need to stop. I didn't want to fight with him..

"Just what?" He growls again as he towers over me. My eyes started to burn and I didn't say anything as I turned to face the door and to not look at him.

"I love you. Whether you want it ot not." I sniffled and tried to ignore the shaking of my shoulders. It's quiet for a few moments.

"I do want it." He then says in a whisper. "You know I love you.." he mumbled and stepped forward slowly wrapping his arms around my waist and nuzzling his head in my neck.

"Stop fighting with me." I mumbled sadly. "Go eat your cake captain." I grumbled turning around and wrapping my arms around his waist and leaning my face up to look at him.

"Oh I'll eat it alright." He growled and slipped his hands down to grip my thighs. I squeaked and flushed once more.

The captain smirked and leaned down to capture my lips in a kiss. "You're too good to me." He whispered and pulled back slightly. "Now should we share this for breakfast?" He chuckled gesturing to the cake.

I giggled and nodded, "I planned on a romantic bath too but.."

"Later this evening my love. Helena is going back home soon." He stated and pecked my lips once again.

"Well if you came to bed earlier.." I huff and he rolled his eyes.

"You know your captain gets busy." He responded and tapped my nose with his finger as he pulls me to sit on the bed.

After we shared the dessert. We made our way to upper deck. Shane was standing next to Helena by the distended bridge. I wasn't going with them as I was still a tiny bit stiff and couldn't run if we had to. So no disguise was needed right now. In the distance Tobias walked up as the sky is covered. We walk over to him and he looks at me his eyes glowing,

"How are you feeling?" He asks me.

"A lot better." I smiled. The captain wraps his arm around me.

"I'm going to make a quick run. Did you need anything Tobias?" Shawn asks him.

"I have to retrieve it. Dirt from the graveyard catacombs. I will be quick. It is not often we can have it. But it is very useful in ritual." He replied. The captain raised an eyebrow at the witch doctor remembering the last time he was let off the ship.. but I wasn't going so Tobias scaring the locals would be fine. I mean.. unless he gets arrested.

I snickered to myself picturing the witch doctor in hand cuffs before shaking my head and looking at Helena.

"Will you ever want to visit us again? Go on a trip?" I ask smiling at her.

She nods and smiles back, "we'll see how it goes. As long as I'm not kidnapped again. You should come see a play when you can." She stated. "Stay out of trouble, big brother." She tells the captain and he grumbled as she leaned over to hug him. She turns to hug me too and then the three of them turn to the bridge.

"Shane!" The captain shouts and nods at me.

I rolled my eyes, making my way to the bedroom to stay hidden from people in dock view. Some things never change.

The captain returned so as soon as we were moving once again I went back on deck. Tobias and his ghouls were out and staying to themselves quietly in a corner. They were next to be dropped off back home. Shawn was currently rerouting on a map speaking to Nate about a course and I didn't want to bother him, so I walked over to the witch doctor to talk to him. I haven't much the last few days.

Tobias looks up at me and smiles, "what's on your mind?" He asks as we look out to the water crashing up against the side of the ship.

"I did have a question," I laughed smallly. He nods and focuses on me.

"Since.. jones is gone. Who is going to ferry the souls? Properly anyway.." I asked him looking up at the skeleton man.

He chuckled, "you know. You and the captain are much more alike than you realize. Always so serious and wondering what will happen next." He teased as I flushed embarrassed.

He smiled, "it will be a job for the ghouls and I. We've done that for ages before jones. He was a test to see if someone else could handle it, but he was a failure."

"Oh," I replied small and looked down.

He chuckled and raised my face for me to look at him.

"As your captain says. Not for you to worry." He winks and I blush once more before turning to look out to the water. I sighed and rested my hands on my cheeks leaning over to watch the sky. The clouds were fluffy and cascaded the sky in gray. Not quite seeming like it will rain, just overcast. We are a day or so from Tobias's island. He too seemed ready to get home. He had work to do and all that.