Pirate chapter 9

After I changed into the dress I made my way out of the captains room. The boat was rocking violently and I was struggling to walk. I held onto the wall as I slowly shuffled the direction Shawn had told me. A boom of thunder increases my pace.. and heart rate as I squeak and quickly and clumsily make it to the room. How on earth were they going to have an on ship fire during this?

I enter the room and see the few other pirates surrounding a huge metal bucket that was nailed to the floorboards a small glowing orange light emits from it and I see sparks.

"Isn't that dangerous..?" I ask cautiously as I walk over to the captain adding more wood.

"It's controlled, and not going anywhere." He stated and looked up at me winking.

The rocking of the boat steadied but I didn't know for how long. I sat down a distance from the bucket for safety, but still feeling the warmth. The captain sat next to me and his 5 friends sat down around it as well. All of us in a circle.

It was quiet for a bit. All just feeling the warmth of the fire. A boom of thunder caused me to jump and the pirate captain chuckled.

"Why are you so scared of thunder?" He asks as the silence is finally broken.

I sighed, "I was always within the castle walls. The sound was blocked out. I didn't realize how loud it was.." I mumbled embarrassed.

To my surprise there was no scoffing.

"So you really have never been outside of the castle?" Shane asks me from sitting across.

I shook my head, "I mean I've been outside in general but never during storms. The walls were sound proof." I replied.

"That's unbelievable," the captain stated and shook his head, "how fucking sheltered can you get?"

I frowned and glared at him.

"I don't necessarily mean it in a bad way, but you're blind to the world. All of the evil." Shawn spoke and pulled out a bottle of rum for them all to share. He offered the bowl to me but I declined.

"We've all been around it for a while." Shane added with a sigh as he threw in a stick to the fire and took the bottle from the captain taking a swig.

"Really? How long have you all been like this?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"You unfortunately already know my story," the captain grumbled and I pout looking up at him.

"Sorry.." I mumbled and looked away. Shawn rolled his eyes but surprised me as he leaned back against the wall and pulled me against him wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"Well miss princess, if you must know," Shane began. "I was also an orphan. Plague got my parents when I was 3 I barely remember them. But the orphanage was no good. I escaped. I lived on the streets. I got caught stealing one day and I was going to be killed. They brought me to a port and we're going to hang me from the rafters below for stealing. I was 13.. captain found me killed the two guards, and told me if I helped him he'd help me. Captain didn't have a ship at the time, but we commandeered one pretty quickly. Altered it so it wasn't recognized, and thus the reaper was born."

I was just sitting quietly, listening as Shane talked currently. He and I were the same age.. I didn't even realize. He was only 13 fighting for his life while I was just sitting in a castle..

"I'm sorry.." I mumbled after a few moments of silence.

"I was 15 when my home was burned down. I made weapons. I was what you'd call a weapons master, well rather an apprentice, still learning. I was told it all had to be destroyed because "they were a threat," Finn began, "which is bullshit. All I was making was fishing knives. Set my furnace a blaze and I had to haul out. My house was built by me because I had no where else to go. So the wood just went up in flames I couldn't save anything. I saw a ship in the harbor and decided to just leave. I was going to stow away, but behold it was our fearless leader. He told me I could stay if I made repairs to the ship and built things for him."