Chapter 75: Strength, Calming, Release

Cassandra's POV
It's been a few days since they died, since me and Sasha buried them in Hilltop worrying about Maggie who passed out shortly after our arrival. It's been a few days since I've seen my family and I almost left to go back to them, but he was keeping me here.

Right now I lay on the couch of Violet's trailer, Jesus gave me her key and let me stay in her trailer while Sasha stayed in his the past few days. Sasha, being Sasha, kept herself busy to hide all the pain she was in.

What did I do? Nothing. The first two days I was in shock, I would fall asleep by Mathew's grave and wake up on Violet's bed, the next two I just laid down.

My baby definitely knew something was wrong because even its little flutters to remind me it was still there stopped almost completely, but the few flutters I got calmed me. They reminded me my baby was still alive, still had a chance.

I slowly sit up and feel something sharp jab my thigh, I look down and see my knife. I pick it up twisting it in my fingers, this was the knife I killed Joe with, some may think that it's fucked up that I kept it, but for me it was a reminder.

I fucking won.

Joe was the dead one and I was alive. The knife was just my daily reminder of my old life, and how I escaped it. This knife is the same one that I would use to kill the man who destroyed my family. The man who took my father, my sister, and my friends, and traumatized my family.

That was a promise.

"Cass?" I look up to see Jesus standing by the trailer door, he must've just come in, I didn't notice.

"What?" My voice was hoarse from lack of use.

"I was wondering if you wanted to drop these off at the infirmary, for Maggie." He holds out a bouquet of blue flowers. The gesture wasn't romantic, it was sweet it showed he cared.

"I'm fine here," I answer my eyes traveling around the dark trailer.

Jesus sighs and strides over to me, sitting next to me. "When I lost my mom, the world stopped. Everyone told me it'd heal with time, but the truth was it didn't. Losing someone... it's not about forgetting, it's about accepting and moving forward." He glances at me.

I felt tears sting my eyes, I blinked them away, "I get why my sister stuck around you so much now," I spoke.

He smiles slightly and I turn to look at him and nod my head. "Let's go take the flower to Maggie,"
___

Jesus puts the flowers in a vase as I grab Maggie's hand, Dr.Carson says she should be up soon. I kiss her forehead before releasing her hand and standing up, Jesus looks at me with a small smile that I return.

We leave the infirmary after running into Sasha who sits on the steps of the infirmary, and walk through Hilltop in peaceful silence. I watch as children run around laughing and playing games while the adults work, I see one little boy who resembles Tony, with his brown curls and big, pale green eyes.

It made me miss him more than I already did, Jesus caught where I was staring and smiled softly. "It's amazing that children can continue to be carefree even in a world like this, it gives me hope that the world can go back to what it was,"

"It won't ever be the same," I shake my head, no matter how hard we tried life before the apocalypse was gone, too much has happened for the world to go back, the people we were weren't the people we are now.

He nods "You're right, but people like you and you're sister can make it better."

I give him a small smile that he returns.