Chapter 2:Making A Friend

Cassandra's POV
I look around I don't see Annette and I don't recognize this place at all I sit up pain is coursing through my body but the worst is the pain in my stomach.

Where my dad kicked me.

I grab my stomach and realize I'm not wearing my hoodie and my bruises and scars are out for anyone to see.

Also, someone put a wrap on my head I take a blanket folded neatly on the coffee table and wrap it around myself.

I stand up my head starts throbbing it's as if a bomb was just set off in my head because of standing up. But I refuse to lay back down I have to find Annette and get out of here.

I find a metal fire poker by the fireplace and decided that was my best choice of weapon. I start limping through the house being as quiet as I can.

I travel to a room and look around I stop when I find a picture of a man and a woman the man has a beard cocoa brown eyes his skin was a peach-ish color his hair was well kept and he looked happy.

The woman had dark brown eyes but they had a greenish color near the center of them she had beautiful dark skin and her hair was in braids that went down to her waist she had a big smile on her face and like the man looked happy. I stare at the picture as if I'm in a trance.

I'm broken from my trance-like state when I hear a crash and scream but not just any scream it was Annie's.

My heart starts pounding while I try to run to her but can't because of my stomach "A-annie" I mumble my voice not able to go above a whisper. I see a doorway and rush to it.

Inside Annette's sitting on a chair while a man is cleaning up something his back turned so he can't see me.

Annette's leg is bleeding and she smiles when she sees me. I put a finger to my lips signaling to be quiet she looks confused. I quietly walk over to the crouched man and get ready to hit him with the fire poker.

"CASSANDRA NO!" Annie screams before I can hit the man with the fire poker.

I back away towards Annie as the man stands up he has pieces of glass in his hands and ironically enough it's the same man in the picture I saw.

"Stay where you are," I mumble my voice still not above a whisper he nods putting the glass down.

"You shouldn't be using your voice yet," the man advices.

"Quiet," I hiss my voice hoarse.

"Cassie this man saved our lives we wouldn't be alive without him," Annie explains I look at the man trying to think of a reason not to put the fire poker down.

If he wanted to kill us he would have done it by now my hand goes to the wrap on my head. I slowly start putting the fire poker down and the man relaxes.

Annie hugs me gingerly trying not to hurt me and I hug her back. The man clears his throat and I look at him again.

"I need to patch up Annette's leg and I'll get you some tea for right now try to get some rest," he explains I nod hesitantly and start walking out.

"My names Mathew just so you know." he adds on I look at him and nod.

I limp the short distance to the coach and lay back down I lift my shirt a little to see the damage.

There's a big purplish blue bruise in the center of my stomach I trace it with my fingers gingerly until I hear someone clear their throat I look up and see Mathew looking at me with concern he has a tray with containers, more bandages, and some hot tea.