Chapter 24:After shock

Cassandra's POV
I take the baby from Maggie as her legs look like there about to give out. She stumbles to Glenn and cries in his arms the baby stops crying and looks up at me. Her delicate hands go to my hair and she starts playing with it.

I walk over to Hershel and give her to him he smiles down at her "she looks healthy but she'll need formula she'll die without it" Hershel states. It's true without her mother to breastfeed her she'll die. Daryl shakes his head in both anguish and anger.

"No. Nobody else is dieing today I'm going on a run" he claims Maggie volunteers to go with him. I don't blame her with what she just had to do. Daryl whispers something to Beth and him and Maggie go on the run.

Everyone was on edge Carl was staring at the floor refusing to look anyone in the eye. Rick was still a sobbing mess on the floor, T-dog and Carol just died it was to much all of it just to much. Hershel led us back inside to the room with tables the atmosphere was anything but happy.

Rick continued walking through he went through the tombs wanting to see Lori's body. Nobody could stop him so Glenn jogged after him I see Carl leave the room quietly to go to his cell. I look at Kasiaya and her and Annie were sitting down Annie had tear stained cheeks while Kasiaya tried braiding her hair to make her feel better.

Kasiya looks at where Carl used to at standing then at me "go" she mouths I nod and follow Carl. I stop a foot from his cell and listen I can hear quite sobs erupting for Carl.

"W-why" he mumbles I walk in and sit down next to him he looks at me and starts crying harder trying to be quite. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me on top of him, crying into the crook of my neck. I start running my hands through his hair soothingly and hushing him.

My heart feels as if there's a knife being driven into it every time a sob comes out of him. I wanna take his pain away but I can't he lost his mother. A mother is someone that's supposed to be irreplaceable someone that you can rely on for comfort and security and he just lost that.

I know I'll never be able to truly help him with his mother's loss when I never really had mine. The best I can do is sit there and let him cry be there to bring him out of this dark place.

His sobs turn into sniffles and hiccups after 5 more minutes "w-why her" he mumbles. I close my eyes "i-i don't know" I answer honestly he shakes his head "w-where is the baby" he asks "with our group do you want me to go get her" I asks softly.

He nods and I sit up I walk to were everyone's at I see everyone staring at me probably listening to what's going on. I walk over to Beth who has her "how is he" she asks quietly I shake my head "he just needs some time" I mumble.

"He wants to see her can I take her" I ask referring to the baby. Beth nods and gives her to me I smile down at the baby and starts walking back to Carls cell. "Here she is" I say holding her out for him.

He smiles a little and takes her "she has her eyes" he mumbles. He pulls her to him and kisses her head he whispers something to her that I can't hear. I smile and leave to let the two be alone.

I walk back to the group and sit next to Annie "is he ok" Annie asks softly "he just lost someone really important in his life he just needs some time" I say she nods and leans her head against me. I wrap my arm around her and Kasiaya smiles at us.

"Is Rick still gone" I ask Kasiaya nods "he needs to blow off some steam" she says I nod and lean back a little.

Maggie and Daryl get back with some formula for the baby Carl comes out of his cell his eyes a little puffy but that's it. I make a bottle for the baby and give it to Carl he nods in thanks and holds the bottle up to her mouth.

"So what are you gonna name her" Daryl asks Carl he shruggs. "I don't know there's a lot of good names Sofia, Andrea, Jacqui" he continues listing off the names of the people we lost until he runs out of names.

He sits next to me and leans his head on my shoulder "she's beautiful" I mumble. He nods "she is" he mumbles.

Words 828
I didn't have much to say after this chapter but next chapter should be much MUCH better biiie