Chapter 1: The beginning

Cassandra's POV
"C-cassie," I hear while someone shakes me I open my eyes and see Annie with tear-stained cheeks and red eyes.

I sit up and take her into my arms "Annie what's wrong?" I ask rocking her.

"I-i had the dream again," she mumbles I kiss her head hushing her while she cuddles into me.

"That's never gonna happen ever again as long as I'm here," I say we stay like that until she falls asleep in my arms.

1 month before
"Annie it's time to get up for school," I say shaking her gently she opens her eyes and yawns.

She smiles up at me but frowns when she sees my cheek "He hurt you again," she mumbles putting her hand on the bruise on my cheek gently.

"I'm ok," I say taking her hand off the bruise she sits up still frowning.

"Why can't we leave?" Annie asks softly.

"Like I said let me save up a little more money then we'll leave this place and never worry about them again," I explain hiding the bruise with some makeup.

She nods and starts getting dressed. I grab mine and her backpacks and we walk out the door.

We start walking the 10 minutes to school I drop her off at her school and try to leave before a teacher sees me.

"Cassandra Fleming stop right there." I stop in my tracks and turn around to see Annie's teacher.

She has her hands on her hips and an angry look on her face.

"Mrs.Baker," I say with a smile.

"Sit down," she says pointing to a chair by the classroom door. I sigh and sit down Mrs. Bakers' face softens

"Annette can't continue to go to school without her shot records and you know that," she explains.

"Just please g-give me 2 more days for my paycheck and I'll-"

"No Cassandra you are only 14 years old and in 8th grade, it's not your job to take care of Annette," she says cutting me off.

I look down she sighs "I'm calling social services after school to get you and Annette out of that house" I shake my head tears threatening to fall.

"P-please give me more time," I plead she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry honey but I have to it's my job-" Mrs.Baker was cut off when alarms started going off I jumped up from the seat and picked up a panicking Annette.

"C-cassie what's going on?" she asks covering her ears. I ignore the question and do my best to get her away from the loud noise and danger.

I run out of the school and look around frantically people are screaming and being eaten by other people who look as if they aren't truly human.

One of them comes at me and I dodge it I run to a car and put Annie in the passenger seat. I hot wire the car and drive as fast as I can out of there.

"Cassie, what's happening?" Annie asks while having a panic attack.

"Annie breathes baby please take deep breaths nothing bad is gonna happen to us. Get your marbles from my backpack and count them" I say trying to calm her down she nods and starts trying to control her breathing while she grabs her marbles.

She starts counting them while I go speeding to our house. We get there and I get out locking Annie in the car while I run in.

I grabbed the duffel bags that we packed in case we needed to make a quick escape. I go to my parent's room and grab the 3 guns they have and all the ammo along with 5 knives.