Chapter 65:I Owe Him My Life

Cassandra's POV
"Come on Cass you can do it," Carl says encouragingly, holding his hands out for me to grab.

I let out a shaky breath, it's been a week since I was stitched up so now I was able to walk.

Well kinda, I need help to walk. Today is kind of a test to see if I can even stand without falling.

On top of that we aren't able to leave the walls and that means supplies are being rationed, which means Denie stopped giving me the pain medication I was getting.

I wasn't all too upset about it since I didn't like the idea of relying on pills, even if they were just simple pain pills, addiction ran in my family and pills are what turned my parents into what they were.

So if I had to go through some pain just to assure myself that I wasn't like them. It was worth it.

I grab Carl's wrists and he grabs mine giving me a reassuring smile with a small nod.

I sighed standing up and crying out in pain, I stood up too fast.

My hand goes to my lower stomach as Carl supports most of my body weight.

"Are you sure we can't spare her a few pills, so she's not in so much pain," Carl asks looking at Denise.

I answer for her.

"No." I say through gritted teeth "No pills."

Carl sighs but nods understanding why I didn't want them.

"Okay ready?" He asks.

I take a deep breath and nod.

"1, 2,-"

"Fuck!" I hiss as I take my first step, in 4 or 5 days.

My legs felt strained and my muscles ached.

"You're doing a great job." Carl smiles softly as we take another step.

We walk out onto the porch when Denise says that that was enough.

I feel dread fill me as I sit back down on the hard hospital bed.

I let out a huff, "What's wrong?" Carl asks.

"I feel useless," I mutter.

"I can't even walk by myself for Christ's sake," I sigh.

"You're not useless, just healing." He says kissing my hand that was intertwined with his.

"Same difference," I grumble.

"Stay here, I have a surprise for you." He says before leaving the infirmary.

I sighed and looked around, I was bored out of my mind.

I hear a knock at the door.

That was quick.

I think to myself, the door opens and my face twists in confusion.

"Ron, what're you doing here?" I ask the dirty blonde boy.

He scratches the back of his neck and steps inside sitting the door behind him.

"Just wanted to see how you're doing," he shrugs.

"Been better, but have certainly been worse," I answer.

He nods and we go silent again neither of us knowing what to say.

What was there to say?

Me and Ron have barely interacted, so why try talking to each other now?

He clears his throat "I um, asked Rick for gun training," he says.

I nod noticing how he said 'Rick' with a slight distaste. Not much but it was still there.