Chapter 35:Cure

"Cassie when can I see my mama again" one of the children ask me I shrugg rubbing her head. "Soon" I say she nods "when I see Mt daddy I'm gonna give him the biggest hug in the world" one of the kids say hugging the air.

"Me too" a kid says I smile at the conversations they have. I hear a knock at the door and stand up holding one of the kids on my hip. I open the door and see Carl holding a bag a few feet away from the door "food" he says sliding the bag over.

I stop it with my foot bending down to pick it up "thanks" I say throwing it over my shoulder. I close the door and walk over to the kids some of them are giggling as I pass the food out. "What's so funny" I ask "you like Carl" a girl giggles.

The others start giggling too and my cheeks go red "We're having fruit instead of veggies today" I say. Some of the kids cheer and others clap their hands in a happy manor. I stand up "I'll be just outside the door if anyone needs me" I say walking towards the door.

I open it closing it behind me just as I suspected Carl was in the hallway. He smiles when he sees me "where you going" he asks I shrugg "just wanted to sit outside" I say sitting down. He nods sitting where he stood.

We stayed in an awkward silence "how's Tony" I ask breaking the silence. "Good Kasiaya talks to him a lot" he says I nod "how's Annie" Carl asks "she's doing better that tea Hershel made really helped" I say. Carl nods "I'm sorry" Carl blurts out "you've already said that" I say.

He nods "I know but I don't know I still feel guilty" he admits I nod "don't be you weren't lying" I say. He looks down "why don't you wear your hat anymore" I ask changing the subject. "Not a farmers hat" he says "we'll your not a farmer anymore" I say he smirks standing up i stand up too.

He goes back inside and a few seconds later comes out wearing his hat. I smile "is that better" he asks I nod and he smiles. We go silent again just starring at each other he starts taking small steps towards me. I extend my hand and so does he walks until our fingertips are touching.

This time I take a step forward interwining our hands. He looks at our hands and smiles his eyes travel to mine. I take a step forward out bodies only a foot apart now.

"That's against the rules" he mocks me changing his voice to sound like me. I smile and pull him close to me "fuck the rules" I say standing on the tips of my toes to kiss his lips. He kisses back sliding his tounge into my mouth.

We pull away to breath my arms still around his neck and his hands on my waist. "I don't sound like that" I mumble with a smirk he chuckles putting his forehead against mine. "Do too" he says softly I chuckle kissing his lips softly again.

"You know that's dangerous" he says I nod "I know but I'm gonna die ev-" Carl cuts me off "don't say that" he says quickly. I nod "sorry" I mumble "it's fine" he answer's.

"I'm glad you did that" Carl says I smile "I bet you are" I say he chuckles pulling away "I have to get back to the kids" I say he nods. I start walking away "wait Cass" I hear Carl say I turn towards him. "Does that mean our breaks over" he asks I nod "yes" I say. He smiles and nods going bak to his assigned room I walk onto mine with a smile.

3 hours later
It's peaceful but in this new world no one can be at peace for long.

I hear a gunshot then another then another I stand up quickly and rush to the door. The kids are behind me looking around scared I look at them "don't worry it's ok" I say as calmly as I can.

I pull my gun out turning the safety off walking out the door I see Carl walking over to me he gently pushes me back inside. "Cass don't worry justgo back in that room" he say gently I shake my head.